15,000,000 candle power

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by cumberlandcat, Feb 13, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was wondering if anyone has bought and used a northern tool 15,000,000candle power light. I bought one for 50 bucks it looks as if it could be seen for miles wondering if anyone has had any problems with one. I have been looking for one that is bigger than the standard 1,000,000 and I found it.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes! We bought for for last season. Yes you can see quite a ways with it,the down side is the battery in ours goes down fast. 30 min- to a hour maximum then it's dead as as doornail. We figured the batterys would hold up alot better than that but at least in ours it doesn't. We bought ours from Cabela's:smile2:

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    So, just how much better is the 15,000,000cp spotlight than the 1,000,000? Does it even begin to compare with the spotlight on a barge tugboat?

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's nice to have a spot light but sheesh. How far do you want to see and do you want to see when you turn it off? Really though I have a 10 mill. and to me it's no better then a 2mill. So I really can't see a 15 being all that much better.

5. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The higher the candle power the more power its going to use. Battery drain will be a lot faster.
    Have a great day.
    FourEyes

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I found some spotlights on the net that looked like the same ones that are on the barges, they are 750 million CP. It was the newer type that had the xenon bulb, the older one s are carbon arc.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I would love to mount a couple of those on the front of the truck and zap those A.H's that drive at you with their bright lights on...W

8. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I got one for Christmas and it is definitely bright enough. I haven't used it enough yet to see how well the battery will hold up though. What do you all mostly use your spotlights for? I like to use it for spotlighting deer, bass and frogs.

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I bought it for going back to the launch, When a fog comes up or rain it can be a long cold trip back so I wanted something to get me back where I could see all things. I tried it last night and I can light up a tree about a half mile away easy but that is the farthest thing away from me to try it on so I think it will do all I could ever need it to. If I can get 40 mins. out of it to get me home , thats all I need. I still can't believe how powerful it is. And I like your idea about getting those ah's who shine there light in your eyes like your not there or something. I have a surprise for them from now on,lol

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A 1,000,000 cp spotlight works just fine for me for seeing from one channel marker to the next when returning to the launching ramp, and even provides plenty of light to avoid hitting debris in the water; but keeping track of my jugs at night on the Arkansas River is a different matter. Having been lit up more than once by those barge spotlights, I'd have to say that they would allow me to see a jug at night just as far as in the daylight. But they are probably prohibitively expensive, and carrying along my 5,000 watt generator is pretty inconvenient. Think I'll just stick with the 1,000,000-1,500,000 cp spotlights. I'm going to do some experimenting with chemlights inside the jugs this spring/summer.

11. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I have a 2mil light and if i leave it on for 15mins strait its dead. But i only did that once. lol was dark in the river after that. so we dont do that no more. Flatheads can see that light cause they have perfect eyesite and will run and hide. So i only use mine off and on just to see where i,m at or going.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You know if you are using it in the fog. Most the time you see better with no light then lighting up the fog and causing it to reflect back at you. If you really need to see. Get a GPS unit.

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What is a chem light? I have never heard of them.

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    guys be careful with them spotlight when your using them. they will burn your boat seat or carpet in a matter of seconds if you set it down while its on. easy to do but it will burn something real quick. might even set the boat on fire too. i know of one truck burned to the ground because a guy set down on his truck seat and left it. i really dont see how it does so fast but it does a good job on a new boat. looks like you set a hot drink can down if you catch real fast, after that forget it. its burnt!

chem light is a glow stick

15. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I got one for Christmas and it is definitely bright enough. I haven't used it enough yet to see how well the battery will hold up though. What do you all mostly use your spotlights for? I like to use it for spotlighting deer, bass and frogs.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Chris, chemlights are just another name for those little chemical light sticks you bend & shake to make them glow. Kids and teenagers use them a lot, but they have some good uses for night fishing, too. Attach one to the tip of your rod or on your float so you can tell when you have a bite, for example.

17. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Oh like glow sticks or the same thing but littler. I have used those they are great I now have berkly glow stick rods to solve that though. But they do work great.

18. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I have all kinds of lights for night hunting. I mostly use a LSi hotspot light which is 6volt and 300,000 cp I use it with a large rechargable battery and it last for almost 2 hours. I was also given a 5 million cp spotlight and it is not really much brighter at all than my hotspot. A light for navagating should not make any more differance(should be alot less) than your motor running. If you are worried just douse your light as soon as you see your spot. I do like a little light very low in the bottem of the boat just because and a small 1 mantle lantern on low works well. For a spot light Id just add a ciggarette recepticle and get a 12v corded spotlight. I worry more about noise. I try to stay still, no clunking. I take everything with a grain of salt. My uncle and I were out last year and we took my little boat that only holds about 1 gallon of gas so you have to keep pouring more in and get gas on your hands. Anyways we got done and were talking about the gas on your hands. After we pulled the boat out we figured we'd fish at the ramp, my uncle got 2 cat one right after the other and we both had gas on our hands. Does it make a diff, it should, but not always.

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have three spotlights. One is 1millionCP and the other two are 2millionCP. The 1million is made by Optronics and it is a plug-in type and is twice and bright as both of my cordless 2millions, My 2millions, one is an Optronics, the light is pretty good, and the battery lasts forever seems like. I got it at bass pro for about $20. The other is a Brinkmann, and It is junk The battery only lasts about 5 minutes. When the light gets warm at all it kicks off. Not want you want when your on the Mississippi river trying to to run into a wing dyke. So If you get one, I would go with the Optronics. I've had pretty good luck with 'em.

20. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    A friend has 1 but dont like the battery life.But it does put out some light.