14ft. Jon Boat for comfort

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by t-bird, May 17, 2007.

1. t-bird

t-bird New Member

State:
    Texas
    Any body have any ideas on modifying a jon boat for better comfort?

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    a recliner a flatscreen and a satilite dish.

3. t-bird

t-bird New Member

State:
    Texas
    maybe not quite so much comfort.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael let me first Welcome you to the BOC. What brand of boat are you wanting to modify? What comforts do you want to end up with? What types of water are you going to fish? Lakes, streams. or rivers. Post some pics of what you now have and tell us where you want to end up. I'm sure someone on here will help you. Good luck on your project.:lol: :big_smile:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri. Post some information on what you want to modify and some one will be along shortly!!

6. t-bird

t-bird New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, I have a 14ft. Monark Flat bottom boat with a 9.9 hp Johnson. I mainly fish around Galveston Bay and in the trininty river for cats. I would like to have a set-up similar to the "hydrilla gorilla" I would like a front deak for the bay and a rear deck for when I fish the river.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, your boat probably isn't large enough to have side by side swivel seats, so we're talking about mounting them on the centerline. I personally wouldn't care about having the flatscreen and the dish, but the recliner sure sounds good. And I've got a couple in a boat. These particular ones were made by taking a Grayhound bus seat (for 2) and cutting it in half to make 2 seats. Weld a metal plate on the bottom to mount your pedestal. These seats recline, so if the bite is slow, you can take a little nap. Seats from an old van will work well, too.

8. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    GREAT IDEA on the seats!! I found some plain old Fishing seats at WalMart for $28 about a month ago! They are made by Wise, and feel about the same as everyone elses $40-$50 seats!! They are plastic frames and aluminum hinged with pretty good vinal covers. Also putting a floor of some kind will make it easier to get around in! You can also put some foam sheeting under the floor for sound absorption and flotation. Lowes/HomeDepot sell some pink 2" thick foam for putting around the OUTSIDE basement walls and it won't absorb water!!!

Hope the Ideas Help!
    Drew

9. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am glad you mentioned the pink foam , I will try that , get rid of the water noise on the bottom

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And then here I come, sounding like a spoil sport. So, let me have at it... you have to remember that everything you add to the boat for your comfort subtracts from the weight available, as listed on the boats data plate. I am sure you can make the boat down right comfortable and homey... but by the time you have finished you may not even be able to legally put it on the water.

Whatever you do to your boat, keep the weight figure in mind. You may want to weigh everything before you add it to your boat. Comfort should give way to safety. I had a 14' jon once, and there were many a day I spent 10 to 12 hourst in that boat. The only thing I had for my comfort was an ice chest.

11. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I always carry a couple of the seat cushion style throwable flotation devices. They can be sat on for comfort plus provide additional protection in case of accident.

12. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    My Jon boat has your typical pedestal mounted boat seats. After about 4 hours my butt and back are killing me. I started taking along one of those "bag" chairs (the ones with the aluminum frame that fold up and slide into a bag about 6" in diameter.) These chairs are great by themselves, but they are even better if you put a throw cushion in the bottom. I've done all-nighters while sitting in one of these with no problems.

Plus, they are super light and fold up when not needed.

Tony

_

13. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    my duckhunting buddie bought my 14' boat off me he put in a simple front platform and a floor in between the rear bench seat and middle seat and uses folding camp chairs, it is very comfty and did not break the bank. in the front platform he put in a storage area which comes in handy for stowing gear i think all together with the outdoor carpet it cost him under $100 the stow hatch cost him the most

14. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    My experience with adding a deck on the front of my jon boat was it made it feel very unstable standing up there.....seemed to throw the center of gravity off or something.

15. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Bill, I had the same feeling sitting up higher. It always felt like I was going to tip over. Of course, it couldn't be that I have gained some extra weight, could it??
    Bill

16. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC t-bird. I have modified two of these jon boats and enjoyed them. From the small front deck to the middle bench seat I used metal studs for the deck frame. They are lightweight but strong. I also used cellofoam from Home depot between the floor spines in the middle of the boat for sound dampening. Get a sheet of 3/8" marine plywood and coat it with shure lock. This is the stuff you coat the inside of a cellar to keep condensation from coming in. Use outdoor glue and carpet. Do the same for the back seat to the motor mount. I have fished small boat tournaments on windy days and felt safe. I also installed an ice chest under a hatch in the front with circulating pumps for the weigh-in and in other instances for bait. You can do the same for your battery compartment and gas tank so nothing is visible. Use piano style hinges. They are stronger and not visible from the topside. You can turn a jon boat into something nice with a few hours and $100.00 and not add much weight. Good luck and enjoy.

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    first of all. flooring will make it more comfortable. i measured out the floor sections of my 14' jon and then went up to the lumberyard and had them cut me out two sections of treated 1'2" plywood. then i went down to the carpet store and bought two sections of red waterproof turf and staple gunned it on the plywood, put it in the floor of the boat and it fit like a glove. theres nothing that says comfort like red carpet in a jonboat! for seats, i just bolted a couple walmart boat seats on two big hunks of flat wood i found in my garage and bolted that to the benches and now im cruisin in comfort. thats about the best i could find. just use your imagination and you'll come up with something.:wink:

18. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    comfort? fishing? hmmm, after so many hours in a boat I dont even think the recliner would help much...........:smile2: