1436 Tracker Mods

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Rosati, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Rosati

Rosati New Member

State:
    tx
    I recently bought my 1436 tracker and OB motor for fishing the Brazos river and area lakes.
    After hitting the water a few times already, I needed to silence the tinny sounds my youngest son makes every time he moves.

I installed a floor in all three compartments and covered with marine carpet. The floors are higher in the middle and slope toward the sides so as to aid in drainage.
    I also added a 34" deck to the bow to facilitate easier entry/exiting at the river/lake banks and provide aplatform for either running limb lines or the occasional bass fishing excursion. This also created a stowage area for PFD's, TP, first aid kit and a few other permanents items.
    Non of the screws are attached anywhere other than in the braces or seats.
    I spent a lot of time on this forum and others researching the so called Bass Jons to get ideas for my flooring and few offered detailed photos or descriptions of exactly how to do this.
    So, I'm mechanicly inclined and, since I work in the window manufacturing business, I have access to aluminum extrusions.
    I bought some 3/4" sq tube and 3/4" angle (both .0625 wall), 2 sheets 15/32 BC sanded ply, and 3 yds of marine carpet. the rest of the items I already had (1/8" Aluminum rivets, contact cement, 1" stainless self tapping screws, and marine epoxy.

I did this project in about 6 hours over two days using only a cordless drill, skil saw and chop saw. It was easy cheap, and fun. I just took it out today in a private lake and it performed superbly. The front deck will take a little getting used to, but it really helped with my underhand pitches.

I'll post a few pics of the finished job once I get the side boxes made. these will house the rod and drink holders as well as misc. items we always carry.

2. Catalac

Catalac New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a similar boat and was looking at some mods, what sites did you use and do you have any pics that could help?

3. Rosati

Rosati New Member

State:
    tx
    http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectThumbs,p,482,00.html
    This guy's project was the most detailed I could find. But I searched google using Jon boat modifications, Bass jons, etc and just adapted several ideas for the tracker.

It seems the tracker jons have fewer ribs than most of the boats and lack the ribs on either side of the seats. I used angles attached to the seats to give me something to attach to.

I have yet to take any pics as I already have carpet in and din't take any photos during the process (digicam did come for xmas!)

4. Catalac

Catalac New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rosati

Try www.tinboats.net for any future ideas, they have a lot of knowledgeable people there.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    sounds like ya did a great job, i did a project like that with my first jon boat, i picked one up for 200 bucks and everything was rotten, everyone said "what are ya gonna do with that piece of crap" they thought it was like polishing a turd but i stripped it out, and redecked it with carpet made rod boxes and other storage, set it up the way i wanted, everything was new in the boat (bildge pump, lights, all wiring) it was the perfect river boat and was a great learning process and the best part was that i knew my boat inside and out after it was all done, also redid the trailer while i was at it, then i sold the boat, and bought a bigger one, i've also done alot of cosmetic work and wiring on the current boat but nothing like the first one, now i'm looking for another river boat and wish i kept it :cool2:

6. Rosati

Rosati New Member

State:
    tx
    Thanks for the kind words folks.
    Ok, here are few pics of her as she sits now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Nice, looks like you've done a great job!

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Nice work, nothing bets the feeling you get the first time you take the boat out after you have fixed her up to the way you want it.

PS. Did you buy or make the switch panel box?

9. Rosati

Rosati New Member

State:
    tx
    The switch box is homemade using parts from radio shack. I have the rubber switch covers on order to complete the waterproofing.
    The box has no unsealed openings and I also put dessicant bags inside to absorb any moisture due to condensation.

10. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Great job, I joined tinboats.net and they have some guys that have really blown me away. I'm gonna post my pics of where I'm at on my boat too, btw, I lOVE your switch panel! Very nice!