1436 or 1448

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Fishgeek, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey gang! I'm looking for a little advice. I'll be getting a new boat here pretty soon. It will be a jon boat and I'm looking at Alumacrafts. From my research, most brands look pretty much the same with the same size boats having similar options, similar hull thickness, similar hp ratings, similar weight capacities, etc. The one difference I've found is Alumacrafts are at least an 1" taller on the sides. Anyway, I know with the 1448 I get alot more boat for not a whole lot more money. If I go with the 1448 over the 1436, will I lose much in terms of draft and ability to make it up & down a river? I'll be fishing some pretty skinny water and need to make it through some riffle areas. Will a 6-inch narrower & 130 lb lighter boat make that much of a difference?

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Advantages/disadvantages of a modified V-hull compared to standard flat bottom.

Thanks!

3. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    The wider boat will not sit any deeper in the water because of the surface area. And you should really get the semi v flat over the rake flat because it will provide a somewhat smoother ride. Just my opinion ofcourse.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Well, for starters, the 1448 is 15" wider, and only 80# heavier than the 1436. It also has a much greater weight capacity, and can be bought with a 20" transom. It's about twice the boat.

A 1436 is suitable for very small rivers and ponds. Unless you are willing to restrict yourself to small water, don't even consider it.

Having said all of that, a 1448 is still a very small boat...it's not going to restrict your ability to navigate small water, at all.

About once a month, somebody comes on here looking for advice on how to remove the middle seat on a tin boat. People hate that middle seat. Before you buy, look hard at the 1648 NCS and the MV 1648 NCS, or even the 1442 NCS.

There will be disagreement on this, but I don't think that little bit of vee on the MV jons makes much difference. It's still a flat bottom boat that is gonna jar your teeth out in anything but flat water. That's what jons do.:sad2:

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys.

Notice my username isn't "Mathgeek"!!! I was thinking almost right...6 inches wider on each side (I was thinking symetrically). I should have been a little more clear...the 1436 I was looking at was the 1436Lite which is 135 pounds lighter than the 1448. Another reason I was leaning towards the 1448 was b/c nobody around here carries the standard 1436, they all have the 1436Lite which seems extremely flimsy.

I thought about the NCS and yes I've seen all those posts of guys wanting to take it out. I've worked out of NCS jons and it is very nice not having to climb over that center seat. But I think I'll be OK with that.

Would the modified hull have any benefits for speed? It will obviously be a smooth ride...does that translate to the motor more effeciently pushing the boat through the water?

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Newp. At least, not so much that you'd notice.

And really, after a certain point, you don't want to go faster in a jon. It will just beat you, and itself, to death. Riveted jons will last a very long time, if you don't abuse them, but they're not bombproof.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The wider jonboat will be much more stable, particularly when you're moving around or leaning over the side for something. It will also displace so much more water that it will have a shallower draft than the narrow jonboat; and that big wide bottom will let you run the boat on plane at a lower speed. And I'd give serious consideration to going to a 16' long jonboat; it's safer in rough water, and gives you more room.

8. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Depending on where you fish- bigger is usually better. I can't stand tripping all over because there is not enough room in the boat. A bigger boat gives you plenty of room to manuever and is just more comfortable. The bottom line is- get what you need to be comfortable. When I bought my present boat, My wife told me "GET WHAT YOU WANT THIS TIME !" Because in the past I had bought a boat, and after a couple trips to the river decided that I needed more space & comfort. Finally opted for a Lowe 1860 pvt. Nice big boat, lots of room. Love it. This is the last boat I am going to buy. I think-----

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    14 48 it will be more stable and less draft seeing as it sets on more water

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks a ton for all your opinions guys! I greatly appreciate your wisdom. I've spent a lot of time in jon boats but they've always been the same style & size so my experience with other models & sizes is very limited.

Katmandeux says there's not a big diff. between the flat hull & modified V. Any other opinions?

11. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    My opinion between the flat bottom and modified V.-- I have owned both and there is definately a big difference in the ride when the water gets rough. My boat is solid weld construction which makes a big difference vs. riveted. My tourny partner has a deep V which can be mighty uncomfortable when the water is super choppy too! I also think that if you think about it and try to distribute weight in the boat makes a big diff. also.

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    modified v will ride a little better than flat nose. but not that much.go with the mod vee being your a newbie to these boats.

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Go with the 1448, I had one for over 20 years and it was a great multi purpose boat. It was flat bottom with a modified V front, It was made out of fairly thick aluminum and was heavy as could be, definitely a trailer boat but would take a lot of punishment. Put a Johnson 6 hp on it and it would do 7 mph. I used it on a wide variety of waters, from ponds and streams to lakes and rivers. It was very maneuverable and after a while seemed like an extension of my body. Often my friends with bigger boats would want to go with me because they caught more fish because I could get places they couldn't.

14. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I run a 1742 Allweld. No middle seats. Runs 27 mph w/ a 25 hp merc.

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I currently own a 1448 alumacraft flatbottom. I would definately go with the 1448. Not only will the extra room be nice, its a heck of a lot more stable than the 1436. I can stand on top of my seat right at the gunwhale and the top rail never comes near the water....did i mention i weigh 250 on a good day? I see a big stability difference between my uncles 1442 (not alumacraft) and my 1448, so i know it will be huge difference vs 1436. As for the mod-v versus flat....with the little bit of angle of the bow on a mod v, i dont think you will see a difference....especially if you put a big enough motor on it to plane...the bow wont be in the water, meaning it will slam down no matter what. My uncles boat is a mod V and it dont ride any nicer than my flat bottom. The 1448 will also take less water to float, because its spreading the weight out over more area (as has already been said). The flatbottom should take probably an inch or more less water to float if you are going in water as skinny as you say. Just this week i was in a creek so shallow that i couldn't even run the motor (kicked up to the highest notch).....the boat still floated though.

16. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Guys, thanks for all your advice. I really do appreciate it. I bought the MV1448 today & am very happy with my decision. When I went to get it I was still undecided about the modified vs. flat hull. You all sold me pretty easily on the 1448 over the 1436. The guy at the marine said the same things you all did about the two hulls. I really could have gone either way & been happy so I left the decision up to my #1 catfish partner (my 6 year old son). He liked "the one with the pointie front" so that's what we bought. I was leaning that way too.

Now the work starts...digging through all your threads about floors, rod holders, wiring, etc. Once I start work on it I'll begin a thread.

Thanks again Brothers!

17. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Congrats!!! Good luck with the rigging. The best piece of advise i can give you is to think it out long and hard before mounting everything in the boat. It will take less time and money to do it right the first time than to have to redo it 2 or 3 times (plus you'll have a lot less holes in that brand new boat). It might even be a good idea to go fishing a few times before mounting anything, 'cause when you get on the water a few times you'll wish you had done something different. Cant wait to see pics of that new boat.

Now the hardest part is fighting the 2 foot rule of boating...... No matter how big the boat, you always wish you had bought one 2 foot bigger. :smile2:

18. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah man, they had a 1648 NCS (no center seat) that was calling my name...screaming my name!!!! But my little beater Nissan pick-up with 120,000 miles on it was screaming louder! Plus I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have fit in my garage. I'll handle the 14 footer until I get a new garage and a new truck! Thanks again!

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You done good.

I'm sure it happens, but I've never known anyone who wished he'd bought a smaller boat.

20. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    They are few and far between, but i bet a few people that bought big boats right before gas went sky high wished they had gotten something smaller:wink: (of course gas is cheap right now).