14 trips and still no fish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by puma, Apr 6, 2008.

1. puma

puma New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have come to the conclusion that if I were to swim down to the fish and offer a year supply of chicken liver, 3 boxes of night crawlers, 2 buckets of shad guts, and a tube of crickets, the fish would still not be interested. It's a good thing I don't have to fish for food because I would surely have parrished by now.lol. I hope my luck changes before next weekends tournament. Can't wait for the old rod tip to bend to the river as my circle hook pierces the fish in the side of the mouth. Ahh what a glorious day that will be. Please wish me luck or say a prayer or stand at the sidelines and chant Go Paul Go Paul. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    hang in there. if worst comes to worst may i suggest dynamite.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Don't worry the fish will come. Keep your head in the game. I fished the OHio around Louisville for almost a whole summer before I had any success.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I really think that the rivers fluxing up and down have a lot to do with it.To much in the water for them to eat on.I too have been out with no luck.My poles hasn't had a bit on them in so long that they are growing cobwebs on the tips:sad2: Like you good thing I don't depend onmy catch of the day to eat.I'd be awful skinny by now. It's got to get better (can't be much worse).
    Don't give up just keep pugging away.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think when the water temperatures warms up and get warmer, the fish should start biting

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been out to a few ponds and on the river 5 plus outings myself and notta nuttin-It's the Curse of thee Blackhearted Mermaid!:wink:

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Theres no stability in the river level yet. As soon as it stabalizes the fishing should get real good. Good luck & hang in there.

8. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I hope your luck gets better.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Don't feel bad, the cats here in SC have lock jaw also. A few good warm weeks and things will pick up. In the least I'm learning new areas for when it picks up. Good luck and hang in there !!

-Jim-

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Paul no words of encouragement here. I am in the same boat you are in. No fish lately and I will be the tournament this weekend if there will be one. The last 3 have been cancelled.

11. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I used to fish Kentucky lakes and rivers alot before I moved to Iowa...I'm still trying to figure these waters out. hehe.

This time of year in Kentucky I fished the Rough River lake area when they drop the lake for "winter pool". This is when they lower the level of the river down to the main channel, often times I have casted clear across the channel to the other side. I believe the name of the boat ramp was Iberia. I also fished the main part of the lake just above the lodge around the clifts. Winter pool seemed to be the best when the water was on the rise. I would catch big blues consistantly when the water was so muddy you could cut it with a knife.

I used cut shad, and shad guts.

I fished in the channel on the edges and if I didn't get a bite within 45 minutes, I would move to another spot down the river. until I found the blues. I did all of my fishing from the bank.

I rarely would just catch one...most of the time I would hit what seemed to be schools of bluecats. All in the 8-20lb range.

I know there has been alot of rain and dont know the level of the river. But spring warm rains always produced nice blues in this body of water. Hope this helps.

12. puma

puma New Member

State:
    Kentucky

dan I was told today that the tournament is cancelled at spottsville. That"s 4 of the last 6 cancelled. I have been looking forward to fishing a tournament.

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    its going to get better, hang in there & Good Luck in your touranment !!! :wink:

14. CATFISHcrazed

CATFISHcrazed New Member

State:
    ky
    dont feel bad bro... im in the cincy ohio area and nothing has been hitting here .. there is so much rain in april and may and there is so much for them to feed off of "that along with water temp. that they stay deep and have plenty to eat from the water going up and down on the banks so often... when the river gets down to pool stage and it heats up then its on ... i like it to be hot with no rain for a straight week or so and then wait for a slightly overcast day with a little rain in the forcast and thats when i come in with the big ones... but then again there is the luck factor... if you R the right place at the right time when one of them is hungry you know what happens next... lolol.. good lucky and i hope you catch a record breaker soon!!!!
    :smile2:

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Its all about odds ! keep at it ! the longer I sit on my treestand the better chance of killing a good buck . Same with fishing . Besides can't catch them sitting on the couch .

16. puma

puma New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Lance Thats good advice. I've been to busy to get out and fish the last month.
    But with your advice I think I will try tonight. Wish me luck.

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I experienced the same thing last year, but I ended up having the best year of my life. Hang in and they will come.

18. Bigcatfish215

Bigcatfish215 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you might want to try a big chub head with a piece of chickin breast and finally a night crawler to top it off.

good luck