14' Jon boat - how much should I spend?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by CatFighter, Aug 2, 2009.

1. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Okay, so I've been looking at jon boats now for a while and every boat I look at that's ~$150 is a POS with like weeds growing in it, etc.

I can buy a brand-new boat for $800.

My question is this: if I can even locate a used 14', 36" wide jon boat, how much should I expect to pay for it? I'm either finding $100 boats that look like flowerpots, or I'm finding these $3000 decked-out boats with used motors and trailers. . . .

Thanks for any insight you can give me. This boat buying stuff is starting to get old.

2. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro

3. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    get a canoe (ha ha ha) 14' 36" wide seems a little dangerous to me. Maybe you could try craiglist.

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    14x36 is a small pond boat---you need at least a 14x48 with 18 inch sides to be safe on big water. nothing bigger than a 15hp on a boat this size. probably find one for $1000 to 1500.00

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    There are some clean 14x42" down here on north Toledo Bend. Average price is $300. I have a 17'x42" and it does ok w/ a 25 hp. I don't get to far out into the big lake with it.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

7. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Thanks for all the help.

S. Carolina is about 10 hours away from me. :| but that is a great boat.

I'm planning on using this boat almost predominantly for fishing near banks, so a 36" should suffice for that (I'm also experienced at bowfishing while standing in canoes, so a 36" will seem like standing on a rock compared to that). A 48" would be better though, for sure.

I not in a hurry; I'll keep looking and expect to not get a boat until October, when the largemouth stop biting and people have to find a place to store their boat for the winter.

8. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Anyone ever used a Lowe 1457 Sea Nymph?

http://www.iboats.com/Lowe_Boats_sea_nymph_1457/nb/mo104308-y2008

It is 48" wide and holds 700#, but is still 140lbs!

I found one for $1500 with a trailer, seats, trolling motor, battery, fish finder, and cover.

Is this a good boat? Does this sale sound too good to be true??

Thanks for the help!