14 Hrs on Badin Lake Pays Off

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tubby Catfishin, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Wow have I got a story for yall. Got to Badin Lake Sat. Morn @ 6am to do some catting. Took along a good friend of mine Steven. Ran up to the upper dam for some bait. Was having trouble catching shad from the boat and some guys @ tuckertowwn dam offered to drop my net for me. ( thanks stranger's)
    Caughta few perch also for bait and went lookin for Mr. Whiskers.
    Started fishing around 7:30 and had 2 flatheads by 8am. Mine first ever flathead came in @ just 4lbs and his was 2lbs. Got to meet Chris(Rookie12) and seen Jerry(jerry9497) and bout a dozen other boats all fishin. Clouds moved in and the wind picked up and it looked like rain and the fish went on strike. We decided to stick it out and man did it pay off. Changed my rigs and got set up to do some drifting. Made a long drift up river and had 2 really good pull downs but no hookset due to bad hook placement in the bait.
    Now the wind is blowin so bad that our drift went from 1/2mph to 5mph so we went back to where the bites came from and anchored. Had shad, bream, cut crappie & cut perch in the water. Stayed on that spot through 2 showers and then it happened.
    We seen the rod bend way down and then stop....... I told steven "just be patient; He'll be back and man did he come back. 10 min later the same rod bends way over and the fight is on. Im tryin to talk him through it and move rods outta the way. Steven gets the fish next to the boat and I can see its the biggest fish I've ever had to encounter. This big blue cat is 6" away from being a photo when the line snaps from the hook. This fish is already a foot under water when reality kicks in and I shove my whole hand into his mouth and grasp as hard as I can. Needless to say were both in shock that this has just happened and it takes us a min to recover but in the end Steven ended up w/ not only his first ever flathead but also his new PB blue cat @ 37lbs. Sorry to drag yall through the whole day just for that but it was worth it for he and I.

P.S. just wanted to thank Chris and Jerry for all their help and thank all you guys @ the BOC for the helpful info.

Attached Files:

2. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    The picture quality wasnt that great due to the fact that my wife took our digital camera and all I had was a camera phone. I think Im gonna go buy a new camera just to keep on my boat.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Nice story!!! Congrats!!

4. monstercatmatt

monstercatmatt New Member

State:
    n.c.
    Man im really happy for steven but im cumin to find him and do sergery on him and remove the horseshoe from his as* and im goin back sat and not leavin this time till i have that fishs grandpa lol

5. NCHawghunter

NCHawghunter New Member

State:
    Alamance County North Car
    Nice catch there buddy!! Congrats!!

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nice fish tubby,we just got back from tuckertown,didnt do too good,had a reel break that took me out,we was behind high rock dam,big ol storm hit us good thing we was under the bridge..ill be back on em though..

7. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Congrats to Steven! And I didnt mind reading the story to get to the punch line! It was well worth it!
    ~~Teddy

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    congrats tubby,steven

we spent about that long on the water but we started at 2am we caught 2 flatheads around 5lbs a bunch of decent channels and a striper. we left when the wind picked up. I probably go back wed.

Attached Files:

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's a heck of a fish man! Congratulations on catching your first flathead as well. You guys had a dang good trip!

10. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nice fish guys, congrats..and I loved the story.

-Jim-

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    GREAT STORY AND THAT SHOWS WHAT HANGING IN THERE WILL DO. NICE FISH AND CONGRADS:big_smile:

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    That's crazy! Thanks for sharing the story.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great day on the lake. Good luck to you and thanks for sharing.

15. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    U CAN GO THE REST OF YOUR LIFE AND THAT NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. KEEP AT IT.
    THANKS FOR LETTING ME SHARE.
    PEEDEE CAT.

16. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thats a good story. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

17. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    You mean people don't always fish 14hr days? Geesh no wonder I come home exhausted!! LOL! J/K man nice catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I really do fish 14-18 hrs when I go. I just can't make myself leave!!

18. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Very nice catch. Now you see what I meant when I talked about being persistent.:wink:

19. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    ok so I took tha photos and enhanced them.... I think they look much better and now you can really see the fish.

Attached Files:

20. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Guys I forgot the most important fact of all.... we released him not 5 min after he was caught. And the 2 flatheads from that morning.