14 ft boat in the river

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ammo warrior, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Okay all, I am needing some advice. A family friend notified me that a senior member of his community is selling his boat for $2500. The boat is a 14 foot aluminum with a 40 motor. I has some extras and has only had two tanks of gas through it, but what I want to know is this... is a boat of this size okay or safe to use in a river?
    I have never owned a boat and need your input...Thanks :confused2:

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Robert... my smaller boat is 12ft.... I have used it in the Colorado River...a but .... My bigger 18 ft is nicer...

I"m thinking that you might use in on a MO river.... depending on water depth, and style of boat it might be a good starter boat.... Good trailer is nice to have... bigger concern... whats the motor like?

Got to try out the boat.... and how few people will be in it with you... by yourself.... might be just right... but more weight ... maybe no so...

Good Luck to you on "looking"

Retired ... Bayrunner Ray

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Robert my boat is a 14 fter and its going in the sippi and IL. rivers but you do have to be more careful with a boat that small in my openyun length is not as important as width the wider the better

4. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I know a few people with 14ft flatbottom boats that go out on the big mo....

I also know a few people that call them guys crazy....

how wide is the boat????

I would almost say a 40 horse would be over kill on such a small boat....I've seen then out there with a 10 horse doing just fine...

5. A/W-

That should be a fine starter boat. However, for that price tag, you can easily find something a little bigger. Make sure the boat is rated for that horsepower though. A good captain will make that boat safe enough bro. I had a 14'er for quite a few years and used it on the Schuylkill, Delaware rivers, Del. Bay, and even took it down the Joisy shore for some back bay FLounder, Striper and crabbing action. Rode out the 4' swells from the big boys just fine. Just be careful and smart, which I know you are my friend.

-NPT

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
  6. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i have a14 ft join with a 10 hp honda it not but36 in bottom...works good on the chattahooce down here in ga....thats with about 460 lbs.of body wight,and about 250 lbs. of gear.(i worry more about bigger boats and the crazy people who drive them than i do about the river.

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    robert that sounds like a good deal to me.you said its only had 2 tanks of gas ran through it.it may be a fairly new model.i would definently try it out first.i have a 14/48 25hp.and i'll run it nearly any where you just have to be safe.with a 40hoss its more than likely a pretty wide boat.good luck.

8. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I run a 15ft with a 50hp in the coosa river here in rome, ga

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Probably no problem running that boat on a river,just be careful. But, I also agree that for the same money you could get a whole lot more boat,that 14 footer may look big enough sitting on the trailer,but loaded up with gear and a person or two it's going to get cramped real quick.

10. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    but on the flip side,if you go to big you'll limit yourself to the bigger rivers.that 14,providing it's wide enough,42" or wider,i would put in 90% of the rivers anywhere,big or small.

11. raven7

raven7 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Option B: Try the 14'. Down the road if you feel like you need more boat, you can keep the 40 HP and sell the 14' and buy a 16'. A 40HP on a 16' will still have plenty of get up and go. I have a 40HP on a 17' and get 32MPH.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  12. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    My first boat 15ft lake jon boat with 35 hp fished the miss,mo,below bagnell,truman snagged loz & truman really no problems.I had a couple of close ones with bigger boats that had DRUNK STUPID aholes :angry::angry: running them! but you can't stop STUPID.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile: I now have 18ft 50hp still can't stop STUPID. you got to start somewhere,good luck:big_smile:

13. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As long as you use your head, you should have no prob.make sure you dont overload it and watch the weather. good fishing.
    smokey

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would find a 16 or bigger. For smaller rivers like the gasconade or osage 14 is fine. If anything buy it for the 40hp and then find ya a bigger boat to put it on. I got a 45 on a 17 ft alum bass tracker and do fine.

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    As long as the boat is pretty wide (which i would say it would have to be to be rated for a 40hp), i would take it just about anywhere. My 1448 flatbottom goes into the chesapeake bay on occasion, and gets used on bigger rivers all the time. The only thing you have to do is pick your days and watch the weather. That is the key with any small boat, knowing your boat's limitations and sticking to them.

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    There is a pretty big difference between a 14ft deep vee, which is usually wider with higher sides, a 14 foot jon, and a 14 foot BassTracker style boat, which is quite narrow and low to the water.

Part of it depends on how you want to use the boat. If you want to anchor and fish from the boat, you will find it a challenge to lean over the side and pull a big fish in without feeling like you are going to tip over. Of course the wider the boat the better. If you just want to use it to get from bank spot to bank spot, you will be ok in any of those boats if you are very careful and don't overload it, but you sure loose a lot of the margin for error that a bigger boat would provide.

17. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    The boat is a one owner but he rarely used it. Supposedly the motor is in great shape. Usually there will be two in the boat, my GF and I, maybe three at the most. It has been under cover and the trailer is like new. I an just concerned about other boats and safety. I actually want a 24' boat but my finances are kinda in the toilet right now...ugh :roll_eyes:

18. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Yes, weather has always been a factor is anything I have done in the last 28 years. I built explosives of all kinds and it is second nature to be aware of the weather...I don't guess that I'll ever get past that one...lol :cool2:

19. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Well guys, there has been some good information posted & I do appreciate it. I understand that the boat is very nice...we'll see. I will look at it and keep in mind the width, deep-v, flat bottom, horse power rating, how low it sets in the water, loading it up with gear & still having room, occupancy of users, and of course how safe overall that it will be to use.
    It falls short of what I would like to have but we do what we can. If I decide to get the boat, I will post some pics of it. Thank you for the ideas and information...tight lines:cool2:

20. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    get a picture of it and you'll get some useful info. I'm confused what kind of 14' takes a 40hp unless it's a deep-v or fiberglass. It'll become obvious to you at a later time that what kind of boat you get determines where you will use it. Right now $2500 will buy a lot of boat. Lotsa choices out there so take time to inform yourself.