14 foot v-bottom

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kycatman01, Mar 10, 2008.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey, guys! I have a question for you all. What size gas outboard motor is best for a 14' v-bottom Jon boat? How big could I go?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have a 12' 1963 Texam aluminium Vee bottom boat. The data plate rates it as 10HP maximum. Newer boats may be rated higher due to a change in construction or floatation material.

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    a 15hp would be just about right, but alot depends on how much weight u put in it and also how wide it is

4. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    is your boat bouble wide ....double deep ,take some measurments send them back to me il tell you.just off hand looking at it anywhere from 6 to 30 horse need more details:embarassed:

5. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I have a 25 Mercury on my 14 ft. Works great!

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had a 18 hp on a 12ft and it was a real ball. I was up in the air with every wave and when I smacked back down, it really jarred me. I finally put a 5 hp on this same boat. It took a lot longer to get there but felt better on my back, and I could run all day on the same amount of gas.:big_smile:

7. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    25 hp ....but your prop is about as important because the pitch of the blades translates how it performs and id invest in protection for lower unit if possible

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What does your plate say?How wide is your boat? I personly know that a 9.9 Merc. 2 cycle has enough power to flip some lightly loaded 14' Johns in a wind gust.Also,where are you going to be using it?Many places across the country now have a "under 10 hp.limit".

Please remember.Too big a motor has killed far more people than not enough motor.

In a quick lookup on line,it varied between 6 hp.and 35 hp!

The weight of the motor has to be considered.

If it is to be tiller operated,the weight of the operator and the weight of the motor all in the stern has to be considered.

You can not trust the word of all dealers as they are not liable if they sell you a motor alone and do not mount it.The larger the motor,the larger the profit.I have seen this done quite a few times in my life!

If you have a commercial fishing license,you may not be limited.

I was raised with a 2 hp.Evenrude on a actual 1 " cypress planked,16' long,6' wide 3 ft.sided Oyster Bateu that probably weighted around a ton when the wood was soaked.The transom had to be cut out to 15" for the Evenrude as a Old British Sea Gull Sail boat outboard had been used.This did fine for a child on the Santee Lakes of SC.It would have been useless in a fast river current.

Check the maker of your boat if they are still in business and your states fish and Game department may be able to help.

I have a 14' long x 48" wide John & a 14' x 57" wide John.Both did fine with the 6 hp.,8 hp. and 9.9 hp. motors I have had on them.The 9.9 Merc is too much motor wide open with someone under 150 lbs.in the 48" John in my opinion.The 48" is too narrow for my 9 hp."Go Devil" outboard in my opinion.It does fine on the 54".The high center of gravity is the problem.Common sense and it is no problem.Some folks do not know that you can slow a outboard down.

I have known people like me who operated boats and motors for 50+ years to finely make the one mistake that it took to kill them in a boat.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have a Richline 14' V-bottom aluminum boat with a 60" beam & a 23"depth. It weighs 205 pounds empty without motor.

It is rated for a 35 HP motor. I have a 6 HP four stroke motor on it.

It does OK with the 6 HP but a 9.9 or 15 would be much better!

But, man, I can run all day on a gallon of gasoline! And with gasoline now at over $3.00 a gallon...going slower doesn't bother me near as much as it once did!:smile2:

Bill

10. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Jackie, it will depend somewhat on the construction of the boat. I have an older 14' V-bottom made of heavy aluminum with high gunwales and it is rated up to 35HP. I only have a 15 on it right now which pushes it just fine unless there is a good load in it, then it struggles a little. I think a 20 or 25 would be ideal on it.

11. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have a older 14ft lowe semi v with a 10hp , it could use more power.

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks
    Here is some specs, for a grizzly 1654

Length16' 4'' Beam76" Transom Height20" Bottom Width54" Max. Recommended HP50 HP Max. Person Capacity5 Persons Max. Person Weight737 Lbs. Max. Weight Capacity 1238 Lbs. Hull Material0.100 5052 Marine Alloy Hull Weight (approx.)690 Lbs.

[​IMG]
    Move pointer over boat below to open/close compartments.

13. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks alot, guys! I was thinking about a 10-15 hp. It is a 1965 Montgomery Ward Aluminum boat and the specs are worn off. I belive I would be pretty safe with a 15 hp, though. Thanks again for all of the great info!!!!!!!!!

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Take some measurements and check out comparable boats online at manufacterer's websites. That will get you pretty close.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I sure wish someone had told you that you can run them slower before you replaced your motor.:wink:

I love you brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Better safe than sorry with a too much motor for the boat. A 15 would work great for you.

18. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  19. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks guys! I am still trying to find a decent motor. Small motors are hard to find around here. Does anyone have any idea on how much 8-15 HP motor would cost?

20. cj7848

cj7848 New Member

State:
    texas
    Check out onlineoutboards.com. They have the best prices I've found. They sell Tohatsu and Nissan motors which are identical except for the cowling decal. You pay more for that Nissan decal for some reason. I am looking to buy one and the 8hp Tohatsu costs $1550 and the 15hp is around $2100. They are located in Tennesee and don't charge sales tax except in TN and have free shipping in the US. The 8hp and 9.9 have identical specs. Makes me wonder if you can tell any difference in the performance between the two. Anybody know?