13lb 1oz Blue Catfish caught from my kayak today

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by kitsinni, Jun 13, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This morning I took the kayak out to Miami Whitewater lake for a few hours. I caught a couple bass then decided to troll around the lake. I tied on a 1" sunfish swimbait and was trolling when all of the sudden my kayak turned and my drag went off. I thought I hooked in to a tree but it was fighting back. Ended up pulling in a 13lb 1oz cat on my light pole with 6lb test line. It was pulling my kayak all over the lake and I think my kayak did most of the work for me. All the time I spend catfishing and I go bass fishing once and catch my personal best blue cat. It just goes to show these fish don't always hit the way they are supposed to. Days like this are why there is nothing better than fishing!

I was fishing out of a Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5. Once he tired himself out from pulling the kayak all over the place I got my lip grippers on him. This was my first fish that took me for a real ride in the yak!

Pictures are here in the Ohio section. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114106

2. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    very cool man im going to try and troll the river with those baits i have some of those baits:big_smile:

3. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Nice fish, way to go. I have not caught a big one out of my yak YET! But I have caught a couple over 10 lbs. and they sure are fun.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Reps to you for a great catch, Niko! It sounds like you had a great ride.

So far, I have been shallow enough to deploy the anchor, so I haven't taken a long ride yet. I am sure in deep water or rivers things would be different.

I like the Ultimate...it's a great hybrid. I also like the pictures; do you use a camera mount?

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The pics were actually me holding my iphone as far away as I could and hoping the pics work out. They worked out much better than expected.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Niko thanks for a great story, nice fish and a heck of a ride and fight. Reps.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Awsome catch! Thanks for the story.

8. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Great catch Niko! That's fishing outside the box and with great results!

9. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Awesome fish on 6 pound test!