13500 Ft AGL AIRBORNE

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SSG Johnson, Mar 12, 2006.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Check it out. First Free fall went flawless......I will tell you all about it tomorrow right now that shot of adrenaline is wearing off and its been a really long day.

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Chuck,

Looking forward to hearing all the details! Congrats!

3. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is the coolest feeling in the world! Great Job!!

Darrell

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I always knew you were crazy, LOL!!! Now there is no doubt, LMAO!!! Congratulations on a successfull return to earth Chuck!

5. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Awsome pic can't wait for the details

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Way to go Chuck.
    I always thought a HAHO would be cool from 30,000 feet.
    A scenic ride for a 100 miles or so. I might need to bring a coat and a bottle of Oxygen though.

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Way to go Chuck man I know that was a blast. I miss jumping so much. Whis I could have been there my self.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Your crazy Chuck I dont know if I could ever do that

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Awesome!

You could not pay me enough to jump outta a perfectily good airplane. I spent too many years in the AF trying to keep people from having to do that!;)

Seriously dude, you got guts that I ain't got! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

10. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Way to go awesome pic looking forward to the full narrative

11. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Nice photo Chuck...real nice. The only thing missing is the Claymore on the forehead. LOL.

12. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    OK I will try and relay the experience the best of my ability.

It all started about two weeks ago when myself and my son where watching the Military Channel and the program was about the HALO school students. Ryan sat through the whole program eyes wide and when it was over he looked at me and asked have you ever done that. I said not like that but I will if you will and he said lets do it. I asked around at work and found that many people wanted to do it so I set up an appointment at the drop zone for Saturday. Thursday I got a call and the guy (Chris) said that Saturday would not be a good day and wanted to know if Sunday would work for me. So Sunday it was!!!!!!!

Everyone that had said they wanted to jump had by this time thought of all the excuses in the world to back out and just as Chris had said I might get one other person to come along (HE WAS RIGHT).

When we arrived at the DZ we where asked if we had ever jumped before so I told the lady behind the counter that I had 54 Military static line jumps and two Civilian static line jumps. She OK and moved into the class... the class seemed to fly by and soon it was time to be introduced to the other people that where jumping that day...... The thing that impressed me the most was the feeling of being around the SKY GODS and have them return the respect after my instructor told them that I was a paratrooper it was no less then aw some.

As we climbed to altitude my jump master keep talking to me and about 5000 agl he made me turn around and look at him I didn't know why at the time but another jumper was doing a hop and pop and they didn't want me to see them exit the aircraft. I realize that after I turned around and he was gone and they where closing the door. When we got to 13500 ft. another pair of jumpers where getting ready and again he wanted me to turn around I quickly said hang on a minuet and watched the pair exit. When I turned back to him he just smiled and shook his head and asked are you ready to skydive I sounded off with a loud and thunderous Airborne and he said take your position in the door. When I got to the door one of my jump masters was hanging outside the aircraft and the other was on the inside. I look at the inside jump master and said CHECK INSIDE he gave me the thumbs up and it was time. A Deep breath a lean to the outside back to the inside and we where gone. The next 3-5 secs have been erased from my memory and I have absolutely no recollection of leaving the aircraft. The next thing I know I am free falling in thin air and arching hard. I check my altimeter and looked over a the Jump master on the right and said 11000 ft. he gave me a thumbs up and then gave me the arch more sign which I did and then made practice pulling move to let them know that I was still with it. I checked the altimeter again and said 10000 ft and did the practice move again. As I arched hard again I saw the camera man come flying close and off to the right of me and that really made me relax even more. I looked at my altimeter and it said 8000 ft so I started playing over the the wave off and running through my head the sequence of the pull. When I looked again I was at 6000 and freaked out my body went on auto pilot and started to Snap back into a good tight body position as I have been train in the military to do........... Immediately I realized this was not the thing to do so I arched hard and rushed the wave off and pull the chute opened at 5000 ft and I floated to the ground......... As I stood alone I would bust out with laughter for no apparent reason many many many many times and have also done the same today.

I have heard that it will change your life and being a Paratrooper I didn't think it would affect me..... I love to live and have realized that the sky is only a playground for those willing enough and hard enough to go and play in it. If you have ever wanted to do this I would really recommend it. To answerer a previous question if I had the choice to jump or to be guaranteed a 50 lb blue on the end of my line I would be in the air with absolutely no regrets or even a second thought.......IT IS THAT GOOD. I will still fish for that 50 lbs blue but would jump first every single time........ If your looking for me next Saturday I will be at the DZ.

Attached Files:

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Nope!! Not me! LOL 20 years in army aviation, watching jumper throw themselves out the back of my chinook and I never one time had a desire to do that. I spent way too much time maintaining and flying in helicopters to ever want to leave one that was working properly. LOL To this day I have nothing but respect for anyone that's crazy enough to throw themselves out of a perfectly good aircraft while it's in flight! LOL Death will eventually come on it's own. Why put the odds in favor of it happening any sooner than necessary! LOL Chuck, you are crazy!! You're a good person, but you are crazy as a lunatic!! LOL

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Chuck, this will end up in the outdoor adventure section of the library. Great article and well written.....even if you are crazy!! LOL

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Not bad at all for the first one.Relax a little and let the lower legs just blow up in the slip stream then pull the arms in a little bit to make more of a goalpost configuration,cup the hands and away you go.Wait till you start flying around and doing relative work with other jumpers.Thats when you truly learn to fly.As I said before you can do everything a bird can do but go UP.;) :p :cool: Bryan it is far safer up there than driving to the drop zone!:crying: Only thing about jumping is it expensive unless you have a military connection.:) I never could decide whether I enjoyed the freefall more or the parachute ride.Being at Ft Bragg all those years the 18 Airborne Corps club got to do lots of interesting things like opening at 18-20grand and riding around etc.Lots easier inside Restricted Airspace.;) :)

16. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Chuck it only gets better brother I have a little over 1330 jumps military and cilivan and I love it! Way to go bro.

17. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Man that would be awsome if I could jump with some time Gator I cant wait until saturday to do it again. Hopfullly the weather will hold and I will get more than one on saturday. Do you do any coaching and are you still jumping?

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Chuck after 2 heart attacks my wife and the doc's will not let me jump any more. I wish they would as I loved every minute of it. I would jump every weekend that I could some times I would go due 2 or 3 jumps in the same day. I would love to jump with you one day but we would have to keep the wife from finding out.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I can still do it ,just don't have any active clubs around me any more.I would have liked to get 1000 but 800+ is sufficient.Sure do miss the good old days at Ft Bragg when we had a Huey available SAt & Sun and a fellow could get 8-10 jumps a day.I would be totally drained from the adrenaline rush by end of day.Part of the Huey safety brief was "If the MASTER WARNING light goes on and the horn starts sounding ,jump immediately if the aircraft is above 500 ft". :crying: One day we are flying back from a refuel at Bragg out to Sicily DZ at 10,000ft and the MASTER WARNING starts going off.ALL 8 of us left the aircraft immediately and started tracking to the DZ.Problem was there was complete cloud cover at 7000 and punching through clouds is a license revoking FAA violation.I saw this little door size hole in the clouds and flew right through it to break out over the DZ which was the best tracking and flying I had done to that point.As I landed the Huey came in to the DZ and the pilot came over and said.The MW light had a malfunction but when he turned around to tell us it was OK we were all gone!!!:) :rolleyes: I harassed my fellow jumpers about punching clouds and best of all they had seen me fly through the door and couldn't help but be impressed,so I promised I would maintain my "silence" for a beer or two of course.Have fun but it is addicting.:)

20. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I got to make two jumps today the first was absolutely amazing it went like clock work. Man I really got to feel it and the Jump masters told me that they didn't have to hold on at all that I really nailed everything. Now the second jump for some reason I got tense did the turns like they wanted me to do but got the relax sign way to much. Kinda got lost and couldn't find that damn needle on my alt. Turned out OK as I passed the level cant wait until tomorrow when I can do it again weather permitting.