1350 mercury

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wvcatfishhunter, May 13, 2009.

1. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I might possibly be getting my hands on a 1350 mercury. Its not been started in years.. I had heard it runs last time started but they couldnt get a title for it so its set outside.. other than a water pump whats a good way to see if it will start up? I'm thinking take the spark plugs out and spray wd40 in the cylinders before even trying to crank it > I figure if it will turn over I could invest some $$ into it and have a good engine... whats the reps of these motors?

2. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    1st off, what year is it, does it have a title now? I have had 2 of the older Tower of Power Mercs, mid 70's models. They were a bear to work on my self, hard to find parts for, no body around here wanted to work on them. I sold the last one, which was running to a guy who wanted it for parts for $600. If it's one of the older ones and has been sitting for a while, be prepared to have the carbs rebuilt, replace a bunch of fuel lines, fuel pump and good possibility of a bunch of the wiring and elecrtical parts. Older mercs have a tendancy to have crumbling wiring all around. I'm not a real fan of the mecurys and found a good running 115 Johnson that I swapped out and it's never looked back.

3. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    title no. I've got a boat I was gonna put it on
    and if its free I thought I'd give it a shot. i run a 70 hp now and thats a big upgrade to a 135