135 Merc poping out of Rev

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Wally, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Looking to buy a pontoon with a 135 Merc an the back. Owner says motor keeps poping out of reverse. Is this a BIG problem??? What would it take to fix it??

Thanks
    Wally

2. Ken G

Ken G New Member

It could be as simple as a stretched or misadjusted shift cable. Bigger problems may be found in the gearcase with a worn clutch or reverse gear.

I would disconnect the shift cable at the motor and manually put the motor in reverse. If it stays in gear the problem is in the cable. If it still jumps out of gear your problem is in the gearcase.

What is the year of the motor?

3. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Don't know the specs...YET, just found it on Craigs list and the owner went to Deer Camp.

24' Sun Tracker, w/ Hard top, 135 Merc. New Deck and carpet, No furneture to get in the way (YEA!!!) and trailer for $2500. Pics don't look too Bad!!

Don't know if it's the original motor or not. Don't know MUCH !!!
    Thanks for the quick response. Will post more when I KNOW ANYTHING!!!

Wally

4. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Well fellas I found out more about the motor and problems...
    1971 Merc 135 HP. Owner says the clutch in the lower unit is worn...
    Rev works only at idle, any more it slides out.
    Is this a BIG $$$$ repair ???
    Is this motor too old to bother with or Good old motor worth saving???
    Says the 24'TOON crusies at 19 MPH by GPS.
    the boat is 1983 He put new 13" tires on the single axel trailer.
    New deck on the boat this past summer.
    Any and all suguestions WELCOMED!!!!

Wally

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Wally, There's no problem fixing that clutch dog, it's only a problem coming up with the money to do it, if you can find the parts,

Chances are that you could need a whole new gear set, along with the clutch dog.

After rereading your last post, I see that it isn't the original engine. Didn't think it was. A 135 hp is way too much for that boat.

My advise is to keep on looking. The winter's just starting, good deals won't be hard to find, for example;

I just bout a 97' 25 hp Johnson. The fella claimed it was just taken out of the box, 4 months ago and got traded in on a larger motor. After my inspection, I couldn't doubt him. For an engine that was made nearly 13 years ago, it did look and run like a brand new one. I also got the wiring harness, (electric start), A nearly new control box with control cables. All for 1200.00. There's not a scratch on this motor, and from the looks of the original spark plugs, my guess would be a maximum of 40 hrs on it.

Keep on looking:wink:

6. Ken G

Ken G New Member

How good of a mechanic are you? Honestly, if you have to ask about a 38 year old inline 6 Mercury 1350 then I'd recommend not buying it. In its day it was a great motor. Now its a project motor. You may find someone to work on the lower unit but most marinas won't work on the top end. A new clutch is $171.00 and is still available. A lot of other parts are not available. It would probably be easier and cheaper to get a parts motor and replace the lower unit rather than repairing it.

A major downfall with the old inline 6s is the internal wiring harness has probably disintegrated by now. They are also gas hogs, but that was OK when gas was 30 cents a gallon.

I happen to have a 1970 Merc 1350 hanging in the garage along with a '73 1500. The 1350 will run and may someday find its way back on the water if I find the right project hull to put it on.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Wally, I didn't feel like typing all that, but you can see from this quote, it's more work than fun.