131st Preakness Stakes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Eithne, May 20, 2006.

1. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Hello again everyone! It's race day for the second leg of the Triple Crown. Post time today for the Preakness is about 6:14 pm, but there is pre-race coverage on now and of course, the other races are on too.

Here's the lineup and odds as they stand this morning:

1 Like Now 12-1
    2 Platinum Couple 50-1
    3 Hemingway's Key 30-1
    4 Greeley's Legacy 20-1
    5 Brother Derek 3-1
    6 Barbaro 1-1
    7 SweetNorthernSaint 4-1
    8 Bernardini 8-1
    9 Diabolical 30-1

As I said before in my Kentucky Derby thread, I'm placing my hopes on Barbaro to become the next Triple Crown winner. Let's hope he's got what it takes to go the distance.

What are your predictions for the race today?

2. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I'm going to have to go with Brother Derek on this one. I think with fewer horses and a better trip ( 5 wide around both turns in the Derby). He'll take this one.

3. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I also think that the #1 horse "Like Now" has very dangerous speed and if he is allowed to control the pace could be a good longshot pick.

4. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Wow...just wow.

Barbaro made a false start out of the gate; breaking through the strong magnets that hold it closed. Like everyone else, I knew it was a bad sign. Then not far from the gate he missteps and hurts his right back leg.

Great run by the inexperienced Bernardini who pulled away from SweetNorthernSaint like he wasn't even there. But a bittersweet race for everyone.

The official results:
    1- Bernardini
    2- SweetNorthernSaint
    3- Hemingway's Key

The vet on scene is predicting this to be a career ending injury. But as long as it's not life threatening, he'll have a nice retirement at stud.