12v verses 24v trolling motors

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bigones, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok brothers I want to get a new trolling motor a foot controled one. I have a 14 tracker tadpole it currently has a 30lb thrust transom mount on it. What would yall suggest getting? Whats the difference in the 12v and the 24v? Thanks

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i use mine on 12 volts when in calm water but when in heavy current or winds i kick her to 24 volts and it does great. it gives you a lot more power.

3. rookie_cater

rookie_cater New Member

State:
    Milford,Ohio
    I have a 24V Minkota Power Drive on my boat. I just like the fact I haven't been able to really run the batterys down while on the lake or on the river.

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Go with a 55# 12 volt motor. It would do your boat just fine. Unless you plan to pull a skier with your trolling motor, then you might need a 24 volt model.

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Bass Pro Shops had the Motorguide 46 Pro on sale the other day for $299. I bought one a few weeks ago and paid $339 for mine. It's a 12 volt 46 lb thrust.

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 24v 80lb thrust MinnKota AutoPilot on my 20' SeaArk and love it. It has plenty of power and the autopilot is wondering for drifting and holding your line. Good luck.

7. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've got a Tracker 48lb. foot controlled unit and it does great on both the lake and the river. The only time it won't pull me is when I'm in HEAVY current. Besides, I like to run light and can't see dropping another battery in the boat to weigh me down; I would rather get weighed down w/ fish.

8. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Minn Kota powerdrive 40lb thrust in 12 volt is more than plenty of trolling motor even on a windy day

9. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    24v runs longer and has the power when you need it may be more $$ but it will be better in the long run

10. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    i have a 70 lb 24 volt with auto pilot on a 16 ft side console. i bought it used, but i ran it for 3 days non stop and i could have gone more. i had a 12 volt 40 lb transome mount and it would only last me 6 hrs. same batts. i highly recamend the 24 volts. best thing i bought.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    This ain't France,this is USA...more horsepower,please(insert Tim Allen gruntx3)

If you can afford a 24v foot control,and the batteries,go for it.No one ever said I wish I had less power or room on a boat. :)

Plus you can always transfer it to a larger boat in the future.

If money is an issue,a 12 would work fine for just altering the boat position,14 ft tadpoles don't weigh much.

12. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    If money is not an issue definately get what you can comfortably afford. They point no one made was 24Vs are more efficient than 12 Vs. (i.e. 110V air conditioner compared to a 220V air conditioner) You don't have enough boat for a 36V so that would be another issue and I assume you aren't wanting to ski behind it.

13. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Practically speaking, you don't need a 24 volt system for the boat you have. A 12 volt ~30 pound thrust should do everything you need. I hope that you aren't fishing extremely fast current or rough water in such a small boat. I used a 17 pound thrust Minn Kota for many years on a 15 foot jon and never went backwards. :cool: I would use the starting battery for my Jeep and run the trolling motor for several hours. Then, I'd put the battery back in the Jeep and crank it up.

The smaller motor will require less juice and less space used in the boat (battery storage). You could probably even get away with using the starting battery for a smaller trolling motor (depending on how you use it). If you have plans to upgrade (upsize) your boat, maybe a bigger motor would suit you better. Even then, there are some powerful 12 volt motors out there. I have a 55 pound thrust 12 volt TM on my boat now. It will snatch my 17 foot boat around when on High.

I guess it just depends on what you want...:blink:

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That sounds like the one I want! What brand did you get? How much it cost used?

15. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replies brothers. I went to bass pro today and they had a 65 lb thrust 24v on special for 400 bucks. What do yall think about that? I know its way more than enough motor but for that price it seems worth it. I could always transfer it to a bigger boat if I get one. Its a 42 inch shaft though and I think I need a 36. Will It work? Can't I udjust it so the head just sticks up higher? Not to fimiluar with foot controled motors. Thanks

16. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    $200.00 sold my transome mount and bought this one. rip tide. it was a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!