12V Air Pump - 100 Gallon Bait Live well construction!

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by rivercatsc, Jul 22, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I am in the process of building a 100gallon live tank to keep my fish alive during tournaments and am looking for a high volume air pump but I dont want a 110V pump. Any help would be nice.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    James, Have you considered one of the Keep Alive aerators? They put a ton of oxygen in the water compared to the bubble units. They have portable ones that you submerge in the tank, or you can get a recirculating unit that mounts on the side of the tank. I've kept 90lbs of fish alive and healthy with the smallest portable one, which cost about $45 from Cabelas. For a 100 gallon tank I would use a bigger one (KA1100 portable or recirculating) or two of the smaller ones (KA460)

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I dont want a pump in the tank cause it will heat the water up and I want to be able to put oxygen in the water without running a recirculation pump. I would have to put in an overflow in the tank also if I did that. I was thinking of like a sweetwater pump but they can be pretty pricey.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    James,

I've heard people complain about a pump adding heat, and it makes sense that it would, but I've used mine in an insulated 5 gallon bucket for hours with no signs of heat build up, so I think it's minimal. I don't have any other suggestions, there are several 12 volt air pumps on the market but I have no experience with them.... Actually, another thought popped up.. We use one of those agitator aerators on the big holding tank at our tournaments, and it seems to work well. Cabelas has a 12 volt version for $70..

5. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
  6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
  7. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    give me a call or come see it in action im sure you will save fish and money:smile2::smile2:

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    An air stone makes pretty bubbles but doesn't do much to oxygenate the water.

You need a recirculating pump to keep the water moving - the vast majority of oxygen and co2 exchange occurs at the surface of the water; if the water isn't moving, there's not much exchange going on.

The KeepAlive recirculating pump kit is probably what you need - several folks here use them quite successfully. I've got one on order for the livewell in my ProCat 240.

9. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I use the "Keep Alive" kit in a 140 qt cooler for a livewell. I have 2 battery operated air pumps in 1/2 a plastic drum wrapped with carpet padding and shrinkwrap for a baitwell. I drop frozen bottles of water in it on hot days to keep temp down and add a bit of Aquarium salt to help with shock.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    How often would you recirculate the water and Im not talkin about for bait Im talkin 100+lbs of catfish. Thanks for the help. Oh yeah Roundhill I will be off next week so I will call you and you can show me how its done.:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    The Keep Alive kit has a bilge pump as a ciculation pump and it is designed to toss overboard and use it to fill the well, then stick it in the well to circulate the water through a hose mounted around the edges to spray the water and aerate it. I let the pump run continuosly once I have a few or a big cat in the box. If I am on a 24hr trip, I will replace 1/2 of the water once and if it is hot during the day I toss frozen drink bottles in to cool it down. On a long trip (24hr) I will cut the pump off for 30 min. every couple of hours after dark (cooler) to save the dedicated deep cycle battery (WalMart 27 series) and have no trouble going 24hrs. I can always attach to the trolling batteries or start battery in a pinch but haven't had to yet. I have a dedicated battery so I can transport fish alive in the truck if needed also. Nice to keep cats/crappie/perch alive until your ready to clean them...

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Don't forget the safety factor with that 100gallon tank:eek:oooh: thats 800lbs water alone if it's filled full, let alone all the stuff we carry around & the fish...most recirculators & oxygenators give a oxygen to gallons ratio if ya dig on there info a little....in other words if ya buy say a combo circulator plus oxygenator that will produce sufficent oxygen for 40gallons of water...then that is the max gallon amount it will be effective in..:wink:

14. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey James; The pump is not what puts the heat in the water. The " Outside " air your pumping in is the true enemy. Also never depend on " one " source to keep your fish alive. I think your better of with " Three " sources of Air/ water supply.

1. Fresh water access; You must have a way to put fresh water in your tank.

2. Recirculation; The best way is to pump aerated water to the bottom of your live well. This way the micro bubbles pick up the ammonia and disapate it into the air.

3. Air pump; 12v air pump will help turn the water over.

The whole idea is to turn the water over so you keep putting " surface " air into the water and then remove the ammonia. You also must keep the water cool. The best way I know to do this is with frozen 2 liter bottles. Keep a supply with you during a tournament.

Also don't hook everything to one battery. Remember your pumps are only as good as your power source.

I'm adding a new line of products to my tackle shop for this very thing. I should have them in stock by next week.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve...

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    A bit of correction:

Ammonia can't be evaporated or dissipated or otherwise "liberated" from water, no matter how much you stir, agitate or add bubbles. The only way to remove ammonia in a livewell or bait tank (short of adding chemicals) is to replace the water in the tank with fresh water. So you absoultely need a way to add fresh water to your livewell periodically.

Carbon dioxide is a different story, and maybe that's what you meant.

CO2 is exchanged for oxygen at the air/water boundary - O2 goes in, CO2 comes out.

Since the surface area of the livewell is huge compared to the total surface area of all the bubbles an airstone can put out, the vast majority of O2 / CO2 exchange is still going to happen at the surface of the livewell, and the best way to maximize that exchange is to keep the water stirred up so "new" water is always coming to the surface of the tank, usually with a recirculating pump.

An airstone's real purpose is to stir the water in the absence of some other form of agitation like a pump. It does a generally poor job of O2 / CO2 exchange.

16. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Marty for the correction your right as always. Anyway you must get rid of both. That takes a little work. Thats why I like the three stage method.

Oh yea now I know how to spell " dissipate ".

Thanks...

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Here is the low down on this. I did a ton of reading last summer on livewells and livewell pumps. Oxygen and oxygen generators. You ask how often you want to recirculate your tank. Constantly!!! If you have fish you want that pump running no ifs ands or buts you want it running. The keep alive truly is the best bang for your buck when it comes to keeping fish alive. The keep alive creates these tiny micro bubbles just like every one says they do. They attach to the ammonia in the water and float to the top. If you have a live well lid you want open it and let the ammonia gas out of the box. If you are using a rubber maid tank you don't really have to worry about it unless you have a lid. I never worry about the heat created by the pump. It's going to be so minimal that it just don't cross my mind. Besides with the recirculation pump moving a fast amount of water. Moving water stays cooler then water that is sitting still. You also want to recycle the water that is in it every so often. You don't keep your dog in a pin full of $#!+ do you? Fish like to upchuck what ever is in them and it's nice to kind of clean it up. If anything at least so it don't cover the recirculation pump. Since installing the 1100 keep alive kit i have had absolutely no worries about keeping any size or amount of fish alive period. When your in a tournament you don't want to have to worry about the fish you have caught you want to worry about the fish you have not caught.

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Sam but I dont plan on ever having it full maybe halfway. I have a 200 gallon rubbermaid stock tank that I use now for tournamnets I was just looking to build something on the boat permanent that was smaller and looked decent. I have freshwater pickup for it and a 12V Mr Bubbles pump and have never lost a fish in a tournament or otherwise I was just looking for some options. I bought a 100Gallon Galvanized tank painted it white and then wrapped in 1/2" thick White Minicell Foam and built a solid 1/2" thick poly cutting board top. I will post pics when totally completed.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    James,

I'd like to see the pics of your finished tank when you get there.It's funny, I bought a 100 gallon galvanized tank last week for a similar project. Sounds like you insulated on the outside, I went another direction and lined the inside of mine with pvc, using those plastic panels made for shower and bathroom walls, with spray in foam between the steel tank and the pvc panels. I used pvc cement to seal it,then covered and reinforced that with marine epoxy. I just did the epoxy work yesterday, and need to let it cure for a few days before I fill it with water and test the seams, and I'll work on a plywood lid for it this weekend.

The plan is that it will only be in the boat during tournaments, replacing my current 40 gallon portable plastic livewell. The stock tank takes up more floor space, but my bait tank and even a small cooler can sit inside it unless we catch a really big fish, so the floorspace is pretty much a wash. It will also make a pretty good table for cutting bait and such.

20. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Keep alive system will solve your problems. They can be mounted in many ways and they work better than any other system I have seen. Catfishjon