12ft 1976 Sea king

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Chitownclown4286, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Chitownclown4286

Chitownclown4286 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I Have A 1976 12ft Sea King and i was wondering what i could do to modify it maybe put some bass seats in it etc. heres what it looks like.
    [​IMG] ive heard of people puttin some 3/4 inch plywood in it etc let me know what ya think. im gonna be doin mostly some river fishin on it the river i fish the current isnt that strong but it flows.

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Nice looking rig. You could get stadium seats like you take to football games. They also make seat mounts that clamp to bench seats. The more weight you put in it with plywood the harder you are going to have to work rowing.

3. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There is a site on the web; jon boat to bass boat they have some good ideas and pictures. They also sell plans.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    David,
    Why would he want to convert a nice boat like that into a bass boat? lol If he does anything I'm sure it will be done with cat fishing in mind. Isn't that right Eric? BTW,that's a nice looking little boat you have there. Enjoy & be careful.
    Glenn

5. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    If there is a marina close drive over and look at what some people do and make some of your own mods to fit you .

6. Chitownclown4286

Chitownclown4286 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    thanks guys appreciate the info im lookin into gettin some of them bolt on seats that you mentioned but as far as plywood or fishing platform screw it ill keep it a cat boat thanks again

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you put a plywood deck on it and pedastol seats in it, your center of gravity will be much higher and easier to tip over. With a small boat such as a 12' to 14'er sitting low in the boat is better and safer. Plus if you ever decide to run limb lines, you can get under trees easier.

Just my 2 cents.

8. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    I just went to ebay and looked at what others had done and then put that with some of my own ideas.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Got the same boat and did lots of modifications to it before I got a bigger boat... Still have the "little boat". I did the following changes to mine.
    1. moved the back seat forward to have more room at back
    2. moved the middle seat forward as well... (drilled out the rivets and used the next hole pattern to do this)
    3. put a deck at the front so that you could stand at the front vee area
    4. made a receiver to take the adjustable seat that sits on the front area
    5. installed nailers to support 2 pieces of plywood covers between the seats.
    6. Put a swivel base receiver in for the back seat
    7. padded the main seats and covered with indoor outdoor carpet
    8. made a bracket to place transom type motor at the front
    9. most of all, be sure to get the center of gravity to the middle as this is best for the fuel tank and the deep cycle battery...

Here is a picture of what I have. If you need some more ideas give me a PM and I'll be glad to help out.

bayrunner ray

10. simplecaveman

simplecaveman New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    bump bump bump Bam!

11. dtwbcs

dtwbcs Member

State:
    TX
    Hey Ya'll--
    I just bought a 12' seaking.Needing advice on type of paint& ideas of checking for(and)repairing any leaks.
    Thanks in advance
    Dan