124 lb. Blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Jul 26, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    How old do you think the a 124lbs cat would be .
    Thanks
    Brian

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I would say about 40 to 50 years, I could be way off, but that is my guess

3. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    id say, if it gained say ohhhhhhh 10 pounds a year, i would say about 13 years. if less, id say about 15 to 20 years old!

4. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    There no way it can grow 10 pounds a year

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    according to biologists fish gain around 2to 3 pounds a year depending on location and temperature or climate even on food supply in ky its closer to 3 ,here he would be 41 years old most likely in iowa 61 probly

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I know the virginia record that was caught out of bugs island a year ago was 12 years old, it died and they did a study on it to figure out the fishes age, It depends of feed in the area alot of growth of fish. You can look it up in the Virginia section under there fish and game there used to be a section telling how old that fish was. So there is no real age to match size of fish once they mature.

7. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That fish was 92 lbs 4 oz and caught by a BOC member William Zost,it was aged if I remember right at 10 to 12 years of age.

Copy out of ESPN:

Age and Growth
    Blue catfish grow faster and live longer than channel catfish. They are the largest member of the catfish family. Blues may grow to lengths of over 55 inches and may weigh more than 100 pounds. Maximum lifespan for blues is unknown but is probably 20-25 years

For most of you that remember this Fish I did some digging in the Old BOC and found my letter to Virginia DNR Fish Biologist when I found out the age of the fish for a 94 pounder below is the letter I sent and the letter from the Biologist. I hope this helps some of you understand the fast growth rate of some of these bluecats.

Thanks D/H

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 4:38 pm

The following information is what I gained in the past few days of information that has been floating around about the New Virginia State Record Blue Cat that was caught on Bugg's Island last year by one of the BOC Members.

A week or so ago I have received information that they were going to age the Blue Cat that was caught in Bugg's Island in Virginia by doing a study on the otoliths, on the Catfish since it Died they could study this fish alot better then the one's that are released. Giving the Virginia Department of Fish and Game a first hand look at how old Blue Cat's are.

Well this study blew me away !! this procedure they used is the only way to tell the true age of a catfish. it's 100% on target.

so I sent a letter to the biologist in charge of Buggs Island Lake, who certified that fish last summer, Vic DiCenzo.

And here is my E-Mail to him:

Hello:

I am trying to find out if the Blue catfish that was caught at Buggs Island
    last summer as your new state record was aged, and if it was how did you age the fish.

I am getting information that this fish was aged and was around 11 years old
    I am trying to find out if this is true or not.

As much as I have been told Catfish take awhile to grow to nice big size and if you have aged this Blue catfish at 11 years old then it has blown a hole in what I have been taught.

Thanks ahead of time.

Matthew Simcox
    Brotherhood Of Catfisherman

--------------------------------------------------------

Answer from the Fish Biologist who aged the fish and certified it last summer as the State Record fish.

Matthew,

I am the biologist in charge of Buggs Island Lake and certified the state record blue catfish last summer. I have remained in contact with William Zost (the angler who caught it) and told him that we would have experts in catfish age and growth age the fish at a special workshop at the premier fisheries conference in the Southern U.S. Well we did! The fish was aged at 11 using the otoliths (I too was able to look at the otoliths and it was quite easy; everyone at the workshop came up with the same age). Therefore, you can feel assured that the age was accurate and precise!

This catfish is the first catfish that has been aged from Buggs Island. We are now in the process of beginning to study age and growth of catfishes there. One of the main reasons that catfish are behind the other species is that the technology for aging them has just been fine-tuned. In the next few years, we all stand to learn a lot about the catfish population.

The one thing that we know for certain is that catfish growth is highly variable. Just because that fish was 11 years old and 92 pounds doesn't necessarily mean that holds true for all the other fish in the population. There are probably other 11 year old catfish at Buggs Island that don't even weigh 15 pounds. They do not all grow at the same rate.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Vic DiCenzo
    Fish Biologist
    VDGIF
    1700 South Main Street
    Farmville, VA 23901

Here is the Picture of it

92 lbs 4 oz Buggs Island Lake 06-29-2004 William Zost

Attached Files:

8. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great picture. Anyone else in here ever read the stories about the cats they used to catch on the Mississppi in the 1800s? Granted they are all unverified, but there were many reports of cats in the 200-300 lb range. Even Mark Twain claimed to have seen one over 6' long. I know that can't be proved but scales still measure in pounds and rulers in feet today just like they did back then.

(source: Fishing for Catfish: The Freshwater Angler)

9. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah but for a fisherman, a fish that was 39 inches yesterday, is 40 today, and when he tells about it tomorrow itll be 41. Now imagine 200 years worth of time.

I agree we probably did have blues above our current weight, but I think if there were 200-300 # blues some would have been caught in the 150# range atleast.

Only way to find out is to try and get one yourself.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thats insane. I didn't realize a twelve year old fish could be that huge.

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i read a thing about the tim pritt's 124 lbs blue it was if i remember 22 years old. Now cats can grow 1 to 2 lbs a year to start the bigger they get the faster they grow so at say 20 blue fish this year may hit 25lbs next year, We just did a 22 lbs blue here that was 8 years old and a 28 lbs that was 9 years old. Bigger fish eat bigger bait so they grow bigger fast.

12. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont know if you guys seem my thread GREAT WAY TO FINISH A SEASON but the last day i went out before my surgery i caught a 45lbs blue that was tagged i called dnr and they told me that fish grew 15 lbs in three years it weighd 30lbs when they caught it in a net and i know it was 45lbs when i caught it so i guess its posible for some fish to grow faster than others ???

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Big Bait= Big Fish...
    Just like any living thing some get fat and some dont. It's survival of the fitest where a fish has to live. The farther north you go the slower the growing rate. Not to say that allways holds true but in general the water is colder and they will grow slower. A 92 pound fish that is only 10-12 years old would be rare for Missouri. I have a growth rate chat put out by the MDC from yearly creel checks if I can find it that tells the average age compared to lenght and weight.

14. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    It's all very very simple guys.
    The growth rate totally depends on it's environment.
    The brother of that same fish listed below to have grown to 96 lbs in a few years in a different part of the lake could only be 15 to 20 lbs.
    If a fish finds a real good spot, that does not require a lot of moving around in order to eat, and it don't have to fight current all the time is going to grow WAY faster then the dumb fish who is roaming the lake constantly looking for something to eat.

Because of that reason, cats caught out of large rivers and lakes cannot be aged unless they are dissected. Cats out of farm ponds and small impoundments can be pretty consistent just because they are all in the "same boat" so to speak.

As far as the fish from the old days, there are PLENTY of records from fish markets here in KC that prove that blues got REAL big in the 1800's.
    People can believe what they want I suppose, but cats used to grow to monster size and still may in much smaller numbers. I personally think that the situation is improving. There are more and more good catfisherman out there but there sure seems to be a whole lot of big fish being caught the last couple of years for sure.

At this time, I do not feel that a really big cat that is caught on rod and reel can not be successfully released. As much as it pains me, I think they may just as well be cooked up. (80lb + cats). I think smaller ones can survive and should be released when possible. I think that conservation is super important to keep the populations growing especially since the sport is growing very rapidly.

One of these days, I'm going to catch one of those monsters!

15. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The MDC is doing a growth study right now and I dont know if it is done yet,I do know of a 80 lb blue that was aged at 13 yrs several years ago and they have a more accurate way of doing it now. Most big fish can be released if you do not take them from the water for very long and take pains to not stress them any more than ya have to.

16. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    It isn't rocket science.
    If the water way's are clear and free from restriction's. Fish will grow.
    Look around the waterway's you fish!
    How much fishing line are on the bank's when the water is low. Not to mention bottle's , styrafome, beer can's, walmart bag's, etc, etc, etc,.
    I've left allot of stuff behind myself.
    Not anymore.
    I've gotten tired of getting snagged and losing good fish and hooks,sinker's and streaching line's be on use again. Only to have to spend money on more line, sinker's, hook's.
    Try using a little conservation. Those walmart bag's can hold alot of line that's just laying around you while your waitting for " Mobby Dick " to hit.
    You know commin sence should tell you. Clean area is a good fishing area.
    I've heard a few conservation people say here in Missiouri that the Blue's can put on 5 lb's. in a year with good conditon's. We've had a mild winter so I exspect they have put on some poundage. Just have to get to em to hit my bait is challenge enuff without snagging another line.

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think it has alot to do with a fishes diet and quantity of food he can eat on a regular basis. simply because i have a koi pond and i feed them game fish feed and they say that for every 2 lbs of food consumed that the fish will gain 1 pound. how true that is i dont know but some of my koi have grown from 1 inch to close to 6 inches since the first of may of this yr. and they might wiegh over a half a pound. i get the food from a man i know that uses it in his farm pond he has blues in it that are 4 yrs old that he put in there when he dug it that were about 8 inches long and you can catch them now 15 to 20 lbs.

18. langstaff

langstaff New Member

State:
    tennessee
  19. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    be sure to release it our the water in the lake may go down to mutch :>

20. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I believe there are still some monsters in the rivers and such. But you have to look at the difference in the water conditions in the 1800's vs today. Now we have more river traffic, more pollution, etc. Plus, I'm willing to bet we have more anglers now days than back then.