12' Jon....Modify or sell??

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Bubbatn, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey guys, I've got a 12'(36" across at the bottom) jonboat. I havent done anything to it yet since i've had it. I originally planned on modifying like some of these "hydrilla gorilla" boats you see. But since i've used it some, i'm not sure if I want to keep it and fix it up this winter, or try to find a larger 14-16ft jon boat. I'd love to have a lil larger boat, but i'm my income is definetly a concern.

The number of people I have is usually not a concern as I really dont have more than one other person with me.

I'd like to put a floor just high enough to cover the cross braces in the boat, and carpet the bottom. This should really help cut down on the sound factory(beating and banging). And i'd like to do the same to the seats....piece of plywood on top and carpet it. Along with some pedestal seats.

I guess my main peeve with the boat is how much it likes to drift around in turbulance(wind or boat traffic). I'm just wondering if adding the flooring in it would help it some in this that it would make it a little heavier?

And would adding foam underneath that floor help any?

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys could offer. Thanks!

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sell it, you are never going to be happy with the modifications you describe. That boat was not designed to take that kind of weight additions, it would ride far to low in the water. I am in the same boat (sorry, pun not intended, but irresistible). I have the same size boat I got earlier this summer with intentions of using it on a small river near here. It doesn't look like that will ever happen, so I'm stuck with an extra jon boat.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'd kinda like to have a small light jon boat.
    The rivers around here are unpassable in late summer with a conventional outboard.
    With a small light boat like that you could add a very small motor and be the only one on the river.
    I sure wouldn't modify it though.Its probably light enough to load in the back of a pickup and back up to the waters edge to launch.
    have a good one
    just

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sell it. By the time you add the weight for the floor, and change the boats center of gravity, it is an accident waiting to happen. You may have got a good buy on this boat, but think of the loss you'd have if the boat capsized on a river or lake. Quite a bit, I am sure...

5. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, I'm not actually talking about making a raised floor. I'm just talking about basically carpeting the bottom of the boat. Just putting some plywood or something just to create a smooth surface for it.

But I am kinda thinking that i'm gonna try to wait, and possibly work out a way to get something larger. That or just wait til I can afford something and deal with what I got for now.

Thanks for the input guys.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Dustin, probably the best thing to do for noise abatement without adding much weight or raising center of gravity would be to spray rhino lining on the floor.....seems to me that will be the best avenue for your boat

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'd say selling it would be your best bet. Actually, I'd look around first to find a real good deal on a 14' jon, buy it, then sell the 12'. If you find a real good deal, and get a good price for the 12', you can just about swap out even. I see 14' jonboats in my area every so often for $100, and I even found one for $50, but it was pretty rough.

8. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think if I did get another boat, I'd like to get at least a 16ft'er unless the 14' was wider. I want something that is gonna be pretty stable, and that I could think about building a deck and such and walk around when I need without wobbling so bad. I am on Norris Lake alot, and its always got alot of boat traffic, so I want something that isnt gonna drift around as bad. I'm just gonna try to keep my eyes peeled for something and try to deal with what i've got at the moment.

Again, I appreciate the advice guys.

9. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'd look for something bigger. I went from a 1436 this year to a 1648, and believe me, there is no comparison as far as stability. Especially if your lake fishing, that wider beam will make a world of difference.

10. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I recently boat a 1448 Lowe jon boat and love the width of this boat., very stable ! I have a 12' jon boat like you describe and use it as a carry down boat. Whenever i'm on a smaller river where ramping a boat is not likely. Bank access is limited in some of the smaller river's boat fishing is the only way.

I'd keep it ! If your a avid fisherman you'll find good use for it !

11. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Yeah, Something like a 1648 is what I would really like to get if I did look for something else.

Just gotta wait for the funds and keep my eyes peeled. :embarassed:

12. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sell, sell, sell! Been there, done that. From my experience you'll be much happier (and safer) with a 14' or bigger. I've got a 14' deep v for sale cause I needed more space and bought a 16' Lowe jon. I purchased the deep v and a homemade trailer for around $400 and added on over the course of 2 or 3 yrs. If it were 16' or bigger, I wouldn't be selling it. You wouldn't want to get caught in a squall in a small jon.... done that too.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's another option. Look around for an old aluminum speedboat. I found one some years back for $155 for boat, trailer, and non-running 60hp Mercury. Once I had the aluminum decking peeled off, I had a great, deep, sturdy, 16' V-hull to fix up any way I wanted. I think I sold the motor for parts for $80-$100, and there was $20-$25 worth of scrap aluminum, so the boat and trailer didn't cost me that much. Oh yeah, I also was given a 16' fiberglass bodied ski boat that had rotted decking, just for hauling it off. I took it down to the local Fish & Game lake and chained it to a tree for my private use till some kids knocked the bottom out with some big rocks. Then I took it out to deeper water and sunk it for a fish haven.