12' Jon Boat, is it dangerous for larger people?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by CatFighter, Jul 20, 2009.

1. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Hello - I'm looking to get a Jon boat for small lake/river fishing. Mostly I'm interested in getting one where I fish relatively close to shore w/out having to deal with people yelling at me for trespassing (whether or not they are the owners, it seldom stops people from putting "PRIVATE PROPERTY" signs all over the place if they know the owners aren't paying attention to their land).

So, I was thinking about a used 12' jon boat, mostly because I want something I can throw on top of my 4Runner (160lb carrying capacity on the roof rack).

The problem is this: I'm a big guy, and I foresee carrying something like 500lbs in the boat including myself, my dad, and gear.

I have been fishing from canoes for about 20 years, including bow-fishing [while standing] from a canoe, so I'm not overly concerned about stability, but I don't want to buy something that is dangerous . . . at least not more dangerous than a canoe :eek:oooh:.

And I don't know if a 14' will go on top of my 4Runner . . . .

What do you boat guys think? Do you suggest a certain brand or transom height? I'm also interested in flat bottom, since I'm planning on landing on muddy banks.

thanks for the help in advance!!

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    You'll be just fine from where an what you want to do as far as fishing with this size of boat.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I once had a 14/36 jon boat and it scared me. I now have a 14/48 and it is stable enough that you could probably stand on the sides and still not tip it.
    That being said, if you are used to standing up in a canoe that jon should be stable enough for you.
    Check the legal seating capacity of the boat,thats average sized people,--whatever that is-- and make your own decision.
    have a good 1
    just

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am just going off Tracker's website on the boat specs. You would be a lot better off with a 14'36" model. You can search the different boat websites like Lowes, etc but the specs come out to about the same. You are over by a good amount on a 12 foot model.

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a 1436 that I use on small rivers, and it would be fine for what you want. I fish with me (230lbs) and sometimes 2 other guys plus motor/gear. You would also be fine with a 12 footer but I ran one this summer after being used to the bigger boat and hated it. If you will be running the motor in the back of the boat alone, just try to put some weight (battery/fuel tank/anchor, etc) in the front of the boat for balance. My favorite little boat was a Lowe 1440 that I had, it was higher sided and more stable BY FAR than even the 1436. It weighed 210lbs though, so you will have to decide what is more important weight or stability. Extra width gains you stability faster than extra length.

6. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Yes, I have decided that it's best to go with a 14' boat. I was hoping for something that I can throw on top of my 4Runner, and at 140lbs on the Tracker I still could, until something breaks and the boat goes flying into someone windshield.

I guess I'll be getting a trailer after all. :look_down:

7. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    For years me and my partner (360 lbs. total) fist out of a 11' x 42" flat bottom. We also carried a battery, troll motor and 3.3 Merc. (35 lb.). We never got ticketed in Kansas for being overweight, but. The fine in Kansas for being overweight is $250. We now run 2 boats, a 12' x 53" flat bottom and a 12' x 53 semi-v. We have no more weight problems. The semi-v is the lightest and will fit on top of you car easily.

8. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    My dad and I will weight in the ball park of 400# together.

The Tracker 1432 is only 120lb and holds like 560# That will definitely fit on my 4Runner (the maximum load on the roof rack is 160#).

Thanks for the help!

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Bigger canoes have some pretty large weight capacities.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't see any problem putting a 14/36 jonboat on top of your vehicle. I've got one that size for puddle jumping, and it definitely weighs less than 140#, because I can pick it up with one hand if I rest the boat against my hip. And while I upgraded as soon as I could afford it, I started out catfishing on the Arkansas river in a 14/36 jonboat with a 6hp Mercury on it; sometimes by myself, sometimes with a partner. I upgraded to a 16/36 jonboat, and it didn't weigh but about 20# more. Now, when I upgraded from that boat to a 16/48 Lowe Bigjon, I more than doubled the weight.
    Want an easy way to move and load your boat? First, consider buying or making a doohicky that clamps onto the transom of your boat; it has wheels so that you can turn your boat upside down, lift the front, and roll it around. The other thing is to get a piece of scrap square tubing that will fit your receiver hitch; weld an upright piece of pipe, then a crosspiece to form a 'T'. The top of the 'T' should be even with the brackets on your roof. Get a couple of pieces of pvc pipe and slide them over each side of the top of the 'T', then weld, glue, or somehow fasten something to the ends of the 'T' to keep the pipe from sliding off. When you want to load your boat, simply tilt the front end up onto the 'T', walk around to the back, and push the boat up onto your vehicle. Tie it down, and you're done. This will let you load the boat yourself without danger of banging your vehicle up. Oh, the pvc? It will roll on the pipe so you don't scrape the boat up; also makes loading easier.

11. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Sweet; everything you just wrote is what I had in mind, including the T-bar off the hitch!

The doohicky can also be made out of PVC and old bicycle tires. PVC will easily hold as much as 150# by itself.

Thanks for the help!

12. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    JMHO I would stay off of big open water, I have a 1448 lowe and it's a great boat, but kinda scary on windy days on big water.

13. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :smile2: last year me and my nephew went bass fishin out of his 12 foot john and we didnt sink or tip over and trust me i bet we was way over the wieght limmit lol

im 350 lbs and he was 280 lbs or so plus the wieght of the battery and gear .

i would just watch out for waves ...

14. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i think u will be better off with a v-bottom because i have had a flat bottom flip over with very littel effort now have a v-bottom and it is very stable i'm 205 lb and i can stand on the side and it won't think about fliping. Hope u like the decision u make good luck.

15. MissouriMudbug

MissouriMudbug New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish from a 20' pontoon on Stockton Lake, but am looking for a smaller boat that will trailer easily greater distances from my home.

I've noticed the small riveted Vs have more weight capacity then the small riveted jons,

I'm also looking at a 17' Osagian square stern canoe. I believe it has a 700 lb person capacity, is rated for a 5 hp motor, weighs about 116 lb and has a beam of 44". I also use a hitch mounted T-bar for my other canoes, long lumber, etc. It has been very handy and I've used it many times since I bought it. Got it from Cabelas several hears ago before taking some kayaks to Florida.