12 hrs of work

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by mikecat87, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    there is another nice lookin drum smoker called gateway? but it is pricey

2. TexzBluz

TexzBluz Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    A good stick burner is a good beer drinking partner.
    They don't drink much beer.
    They don't talk about stupid stuff. There really good listeners. Will stay up as late as you want, even an all nighter if that's what it takes.

3. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    I love a whole onion smoked

yum
    :love:

the price of an untrimmed brisket is ridiculous these days
    :eek1:

SteveMcK and TexzBluz like this.
  4. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Pics are making my stomach think my throats cut!:smile1:

Brackish*Water, SteveMcK and TexzBluz like this.
  5. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    so I guess a pellet grill is set it and forget it? I need to watch some videos.
    I know my wife's neice husband got one and did some ribeyes that were killer
    IMG_20200607_202142437.jpg

Cuda and SteveMcK like this.
  6. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steven
    Went out this afternoon to use my pit boss and despite keeping it covered it was jammed up with pellets that had got moist. We’ve had a lot of rain this week. About an hour later I had it cleaned out and smoking! I really like it, but now have to figure out how to keep it dry!

SteveMcK and Brackish*Water like this.
  7. TexzBluz

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    It was a little pricey, but I bought the Green Mountain cover they offered for my Daniel Boone grill. Was keeping it under the porch but wife finally won that battle,it's out in the weather now. So far so good on keeping pellets dry. Only jam I had was when I tried to hurry it up to temp.

8. TexzBluz

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    Some even use wifi and you can program them to come on when meat temp reads thawed. When meat reaches your done temp, they will lower temp to hold. You can program low and smoke for a few hours then turn up the heat to crisped up. I didn't get the wifi model, I needed to feel somewhat needed.

SteveMcK likes this.
  9. TexzBluz

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    Screenshot_20200704-171257_Gallery.jpg Highly recommend the Don Godkes Downdraft. Made for a lot of pellet grills.Bolts on with the stack bolts, no modifications required. Pulls the smoke out at grate level, not the top. More smoke for the meat to bask in. Plus, fill that stainless tube with pellets and light the end. It smokes for a long time. I could really tell the difference in the amount of smoke flavor.

10. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    now I am looking at just buying a UDS hardware kit online and buying a drum local

11. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Yes Wesley our pellet grill is kind of set and forget, set the desired temp for cooking, the desired temp for the meat, insert the meat probe and hit start it makes all the necessary adjustments to the temps. Like Billy we opted out of the WIFI equipped one. Ours is several years old and I did have to replace the circuit board thing once but it was plug and play situation that took about 10 minutes and was covered by warranty.

SteveMcK and Brackish*Water like this.
  12. TexzBluz

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    I'm surprised at how much I like my pellet grill.
    They will hold 150 for jerky.
    They will crank to 500 for searing steak.
    Digitally back down to 350 to finish.
    It will hold 250 all night long on a long brisket cook.
    Have friends that bake deserts in them.
    It really is set it and forget it. They are extremely simple to work on. A moderate amount of smoke flavor.
    Can be increased with a down draft and smoke tube, using hickory,mesquite or other heavy smoke flavor woods. If I could have only one grill, it would be my pellet grill.

SteveMcK likes this.
  13. mikecat87

mikecat87 Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Mike
  14. crcanter

crcanter Well-Known Member

State:
    WV
    Name:
    Craig
    I really like my old-school stick burner...
    IMG_1479.jpg
    Over the past 20 years, It has seen countless ribs, several whole pigs, a handful of salmon and flocks of chickens, whole and in pieces.

However... a friend of mine invited us over yesterday for some baby backs as the inaugural meal from his new pellet smoker. Until now, I’ve only had a passing interest in the pellet smokers, but those ribs... wow!

Maybe it is time for an upgrade!

TexzBluz likes this.
  15. TexzBluz

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    The pellet grill has given everyone the ability to maintain 225*, 250*, whatever your magic # to smoke at is. Makes the outcome awesome, no 400* spikes or 100* cool downs, just hums along steady at whatever temp you dial in. I believe the consistency is what makes the best Q.

twaskom, crcanter and SteveMcK like this.