12 hp chrysler electric start outboard motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cat_catchin_fish, Feb 4, 2006.

1. cat_catchin_fish

cat_catchin_fish New Member

State:
    Weir, Kansas
    Ok, I give...was given a 12 hp chrysler electric start. Had a 5 hp seaking before and the cowling had a lever release. Feel like a mooron...can not find how cowling comes off the 12 hp. HELP!!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If I remember correctly look on the front down toward the bottom and there should be a pull handle that looks like a start rope handle and that releases a catch that is located on the left side holding the cover.

If not post your serial number so I can search for the correct latch.

3. cat_catchin_fish

State:
    Weir, Kansas
    thanks bubbakat...like i said moo ron. If not for the tree wouldnt see the forrest. Is there anything you can tell me about this motor. It was sitting on a 12 ft. Terry (fiberglass). It had been sitting for about four years. Model No. is 128H9A
    Is this a good motor...problematic...things might need to be on the look out for. Am going to try to do the work myself. Clean carb...drain lower end...replace the water pump ect.
    thanks again for the help.

4. cat_catchin_fish

State:
    Weir, Kansas
    Sorry about the time lag in reply our server was down for much of the day.

5. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    het cat, one thing i did was go to the local library.
    I found a book in the repair section on outboards. it had my motor listed and i just checked it out and took it home. Had it for 3 weeks. gave great insite on the motor.

6. cat_catchin_fish

State:
    Weir, Kansas
    Thanks twmud never thought of that either. guess i thought i would go to those in the know first. getting older must be wanting to do it the easy/lazy way first.
    thanks

7. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    It looks like your motor is a 1979. Many of these motors had a small lever under the front. Move it one way and it would release, allowing you to take the cowling off. I can't say though off hand if that applies to the 12hp.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

The lever under the front on the 12 horse was the gear shift.
    The cowleing had a pull cable right above it for the release of the hood.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do as fwmud said and get the manuel for it and service it real good.
    Those engines weren't the best to begin with but I have seen some that ran without any problems for a long time.
    Don,t be surprised if you can't find parts.
    I know a company in NY i think it is that keeps a few parts. If you need the contact address let me know and I will PM it to you.