12 ga survival barrel

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by scooter079, Jul 16, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ok im gonna setup my 870 for survival so what is the best style or model barrel to shoot slugs and shot so i can use whatever is available when i run out

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I know you can purchase a rifled barrel that has hard rifle sights for your shot gun. They are very accurate for a shot gun. go to the rem web page and send a email. I am sure they will send you a price list also!

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the way i see it, an 870 is already set up for survival. are you wanting to stick with just one barrel? if so, i'd say a 24 inch smoothbore with interchangeable chokes. IF you go with just the one barrel, i'd stay away from slugs. buckshot is good on deer out to 40-50 yards, but you still have the option of using birdshot for rabbits, and birds and squirrels. it's hard enough using a bead sight on distant targets with slugs, but it would be even harder when you're starving, dehydrated, injured, etc. i would throw a sling on there so you have free hands while hiking or climbing too.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would go with a rifled slug barrel. They are great for deer hunting. I have never heard of anyone using buckshot for deer.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you have to think though, deer or deer sized game might not be available in a survival situation. buckshot in a 3" OO or OOO mag shell is awesome on deer and hogs. i know it's illegal in a lot of places, but i have had the opportunity to kill a lot of both deer and hogs and never lost one. the only gripe i have about it is the tendency to punch a hole through the guts with a stray pellet. in a survival situation? gut shots don't matter! with that slug barrel you aren't going to get crap for a pattern for small game. i could maybe go with a cylinder bore barrel with rifle sights, that would be the best of both worlds.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Everyone regroup,The man said......survival wepon.I think he means a riot type wepon that will shoot both type of ammo . I would get an 18" I/C and go with the flow.

7. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm with the Imp/cyl too. Point in the general direction. There's a reason it's called "BUCKshot".

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    C'mon Rich, we all know how useful a rifled shotgun barrel is with bird/buckshot. :wink:

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    A rifled shotgun barrel will shoot birdshot.

You can cut around the out side edge were the brass ends.
    When it seprates it will hit very hard.

I myself have a long barrel pump with a poly choke. I shoots it all. I do real well at turkey shoots. Even against folks who have weld sleeves in their barrel.

I can get 1 to 1 1/2 " groups from a smooth bore shooting slugs at 75 to 100 yards. Iron sights.

The best slugs for me are called BRI sabots. they are awsome! I dont think they are made anymore! I bought a few boxes years ago.

The next are called copper solids from rem. They are very good also.

The shorter the barrel the less effective it will be a distance. If shooting small game or birds, I guess id want a long barrel. The rifled barrel will do better at mout settings and so forth.

I shot five deer one time at Ft Campbell, Ky at less than five feet, I recoved three and hit them all. I did not get the two because they went in a impact area. But all three slugs went though all five deer!

I have never had five deer run up on me like that again.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    hey, go to shotgunworld.com and check it out youll be able to come up with your own answer. :big_smile: :cool2: especially the tactical section

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O

Thanks for the tip about cutting the shell. I'll try that next time I go dove or rabbit hunting. :roll_eyes:

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    THATS WAS FOR A MAKESHIFT SLUG, BUT GO AHEAD BY ALL MEANS, YOU GONNA SHOOT A DOVE WITH A CUT SHOT SHELL:smile2:.

ABOUT LIKE YOUR COMMENTS ON THE CARRY OF THREE LONG GUNS.

YOU CARRY WHAT YOU WANT AND ILL CARRY WHAT I WANT.

THATS FUNNY, IT BE TIME FOR AN ELECTRIC ANCHOR PULLERS, .22 CAL SHORT EYE SHOOTING AND CUT SHOT SHELL DOVE HUNTING. HOO WAA

OH,
    YOUR WELCOME

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA:smile2: ROFLMAO

IM REALLY GLAD I DONT BIRD HUNT AROUND YOU!

ELECTRIC ANCHOR
    LONG GUN
    SHOTGUN
    SHOTSHELL

I DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR BEEF IS, IM NOT ABLE TO HAVE AN OPINON I GUESS!

LETS US KNOW HOW MANY THEM DOVE AND RABBITS YOU GET! :smile2: