12 29 09 Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Fokromix, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    Got there early and saw the roanoke boys getting ready. Good meeting them and they helped put us on some bait...which was much appreciated. First 2 set ups were dry..not even a bump. Ran around some and finally got my friend a new PB. Not very hard since he's never really fished for blues before. Later got him another one. Save the guide of the year nominations since we managed only one other dink. So 3 fish...26, 32, 6. Chilly wind all day that made setting up anywhere hard. Not too much debris in the river...few logs here and there that found our lines, but not bad at all. Both fish came in shallow..as in less than 8 ft. Hard to tell what the tide was doing at first but outgoing was really ripping. Anchor slipped and we banged one wing damn pretty good breaking the depth finder and the fin behind the prop. That then hit the prop when I put it in reverse chewing up the prop. That's OK...its just money. Sound like most guys had rough days too and not sure that made me feel better or worse...but we did have several 80+ fish swim by our baits...:)

Attached Files:

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Wow is all I can say, very nice trip out. Thanks for the report!

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Thanks for the report...getting out in that wind, you're getting my vote for guide of the year!

Congrats on getting two PBs for your friend.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great job Dicky! Way to brave the wind....it's the one thing I hate most when fishing.

5. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    One thing I hate worse than wind...getting skunked. :)

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    For me, the two usually go hand in hand. Never figured out a successful formula to catch 'em in the wind.

7. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    So not sure exactly what happened but I think when we bumped against the piling it spun the "trim tab" like this one here and loosened the nut holding it maybe(maybe it was already loose?). When we ran to our next spot and it must have loosened even more. The next time I put it in reverse it spun around and nicked the prop all up. We figured out what was making this noise at our next spot but didn't have right tools or access to fix it. Pliers leaning out on the motor didn't cut it. Not sure if it is zinc or magnesium but it eventually snapped the fin and part of the base off. If anyone finds it in the DB loop please return. :) I think I straightened the prop enough so its OK to use but it still has some nicks and dents. Next comes figuring out what to buy/how to replace it. Joy...

Attached Files:

8. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for sharing nice fish