12/28 San Vicente - Buddies personal best channel catfish

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by bluehunter, Dec 29, 2006.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I went out to San Vicente in San Diego with a buddy to try to get into some good cat action. Weather report stated windy conditions but the weather was just perfect and beautiful on this day. The water was relatively calm the most of the day.

We arrived in the morn and planed out our tactics. We would bounce around for the first part of the day at a few different spots and then we would buckle down in the blue spot for the afternoon the eve bite. I even had my panfish rod at hand in case there were some hungry gills around.

First off at the duct we ran into some biters. I had a few. The prince ( Known as Karodi here on the BOC) capitalized on his and got his PB channel at 16.85 pounds. Thats a nice channel. After a while we bounced like planned in 2 hrs to the Toll Arm. I got one pan sized bluegill there on a crawler fished off the bottom, and missed on cat run that took me into a snag. Thats was it.

We then went to the buckle down spot and sat for the evening runs. I had one run that was dropped and that was it. It was a good run too but can not get them all thats how the ball rolls. Keith had a few channel runs as well.

Did not get the blue today but did come away with a good fish nevertheless in a double digit channel which does not happen often. Will definitely be back at the V soon. I have a feeling that 07 will have many plus 50 pounders in the ranking. San V is doing really good lately with 8 big blues landed from November to now. There was a 52 pounder landed from the chimney there on Dec 24th.

Nice fishing with you Karodi. Here are a few pics. The cat hit on cut mackerel.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19466&d=1167368821

Attached Files:

2. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    I grew up in So Cal in Anaheim...
    The largest Cat I picked up was a 8 LB Blue out of the Aquaduct in Palmdale..
    (and about a 6 Lb. Gold Fish!)
    Tell me more about where you fish in SD and do you have any photos of the water?

Great fish!

Scott:wink:

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Scotty, Good to hear from another Native of California...Not to many OLD Natives here now. I didn't know that there were blues in the aduct, several of the boys out here fish it quite regularly. You may not be aware, but there are pay lakes in your home town and they stock it with "GIANT" cats and "HUGE" trout...

As far as the lakes in San Diego go, they are limited with there access and we are suffering with lack of water and many are closed.
    Blue, has the pictures of the various lakes down there and should post them later. Keep the gas running to California... as I believe Texas sends it to us.

bayrunner ray

4. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    Gil,
    We used to fish Pyramid Lake,Lake Elsinor,Puddingstone,Lake Huesville,Lake Irvine...
    I do recall a Pay Lake straight up Katella in the Canyons..I heard it had Huge fish but was never into the Pay to Play thing..LOL Actually I think that Lake Irvine was closed for many years and re opened as a pay lake...

When I was a kid I lived in Fullerton and lived at Laguna Lake..ROLF it was such a cool spot and ya know back in the days Dad could drop me off .. Let me fish all day and come cet me when it got dark..
    Get this I was 13 or 14 and my Dad would drive me all the way to Puddingstone.. Drop me off with a few bucks in my pocket and pick me up at the front gate at dark.. Man them were the days.. Id never drop my kids off 50 miles from home in todays standards!
    Well I have to hand it to him he was always there for me and I must sat that I was compleate PITA if I did not get a chance to fish on a Saturday or Sunday!:wink:

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the pics Brian, and congrats to karodi on the PB!

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

Thanks.

I fish primarily San Vicente in SD but also hit up Lower Otay, El Capitan,and Sutherland from time to time. It depends on which one is offering the best bite. As far as pictures of the water I do not have any, but you just gave me a great idea with that. I will make it a point to take pictures of the topography and water next time out. at various lakes.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Very nice Channel, way to go!

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    bluehunter - That is a real nice Channel Cat! Thanks for the report and the great pics!