12/27/06 - Fishing Report

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 27, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Arrived at the Lake around 4am. Went to the bait spots first of course. At my first bait spot which is a creek bridge that is pretty shallow, on the first throw I caught about 10-15 of the smaller shad, when I say small shad I'm talking about 6-7 inches. After the first throw I could not catch anymore there. So I moved on to the place I had caught them at a few days before, a Shallow sandbar in a creek with a light on it. I could already tell they were there, due to the numerous silver flashing in the water, eye candy for me. I saw a few BIG flashes way out, so I quickly threw the net as far as I could, nice wide open throw, and I couldn't believe what I got, 2 HUGE Gizzard Shad! Now obviously, I was very happy about this after having trouble with bait so much recently, I think it might have been a gift from the fish gods? Anyway, after waiting about 5 minutes for the shad to come back on the sandbar, I threw the net again and this time caught an estimated 20-25 more of those smaller shad. I repeated this process a couple more times and soon had plenty of bait to go fishing.

When we put the boat in the water, it was around 6am. First, we went down to Pea Hill Creek again, on the way we noticed the wind was starting to pick-up some, however we were not alarmed by it because we didn't expect it would get much worse. Apparently Gaston Dam was generating because the current was ripping through the Pea Hill Bridge, we fished the creek channel which is sort of on the edge of the current, I kept getting very pesky little bites, some sort of small fish I believe. My Dad was fishing in slightly deeper water however, and wasn't getting any bites until we were getting ready to move and one of his clickers started slowly yet steadily letting out line. He set the hook, and WOW this fish had some 'shoulder'! His drag was going out, every time he gained line, but after only getting to fight the fish for like 20-30seconds the hooked popped out! I don't know what happened, I thought he had that one hooked solid, but apparently I was wrong.

Now we patrolled the whole Pea Hill Bridge area, out to the mouth of the creek, hoping to see some action. Only a couple fish at the mouth of Pea Hill Creek and hardly anything anywhere else. Where we really wanted to fish was the Main lake channel, but we couldn't imagine ourselfs trying to fish out there in White Caps, when we were having some trouble with the anchors just in the creek from the wind. So we went ahead and anchored at the mouth of the creek anyway to wait them out. Between my dad and I we had out 5-6 poles with the small shad on them, we saved the Gizzard Shad. I wasn't getting any bites, but my dad was getting a little action now and then, we fished there a couple hours anyway knowing we didn't have much of a choice. My dad had one start peeling line off his reel, as soon as he set the hook his line just snapped, must have been a slight weak spot in the line. Then he had a few more runs and he just didn't hook the fish, until finally at the end when we were reeling up to go see if there was anywhere else we could fish, he had a screaming run, and finally got a good hookset on a fish, ended up being a 7 pound Blue Catfish. Not a trophy I know, but we aren't complaining.

Then we drove all around in the creek again looking for fish, but they were just not there, and we decided to call it quits for the day, and save our bait for the fishing trip tonight. So, I will have another report tommorow, and we're also going on another guided trip on the James River Friday.

Here is the picture of the one fish my dad caught -

Attached Files:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Another great report Zakk! Good luck out there tomorrow!:smile2:

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the post hopeing you have a good day tomorrow:smile2:

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice way to go at it. Good luck on your next trip and the trip to the JAmes on Friday.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Guys, it's a lot colder (in the 20's) this morning, but no wind, works for me.

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Zakk,

Happy recent birthday!

Paul

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Paul, my birthday was in September, but thanks though.:lol:

Zakk:009:

8. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks for the report zakk. Keep us updated on your outings.

Wheelmobile07

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks Zakk, For the report and good luck with the big shad!!

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys,

Ended up not going this morning because my dad couldn't find anyone to be as his business when he had an order coming in. We are definitely going this afternoon/evening though, and then to the James tommorow morning.

Zakk