12/24 volt bat.charging

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dwreel, Feb 1, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have a 12/24 volt Motor Guide trolling motor and an XPS 2-bank charger. The 2 batteries are joined with a jumper wire for the 24 volt output.

My question is this: Is it necessary to disconect one side of the jumper wire when charging the batteries or is it safe to leave ti connected to both batteries when charging ? Not knowing, I have been disconnecting one side of the jumper wire when charging.

2. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    If your batteries are set up on a true 24 volt system, then you will not have to disconnect anything when charging. Check the diagram that came with the charger to make sure you have it set up correctly. With that charger you will not have to disconnect anything. Just make sure that you have an in-line fuse and that the batteries are set up correctly. You got a good charger. If I were you I would also consider putting in a circuit breaker if you do not already have one. Like maybe a 40-50 amp circuit breaker.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Read the manual for your charger. It will tell you explicitly whether you need to remove the jumper or not.

Though I doubt any modern 2-bank charger in the world will require you to remove the jumper -- each charging circuit is independent of the other and of the common neutral (ground) on the boat. So it doesn't matter how the batteries are connected - each charging circuit just sees the 1 battery that it's connected to.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    shouldnt have to remove the jumper if setup right. mine charges that starting battery and the two trolling motor batteries

5. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I still think you can charge 2 batteries with one charger.If 2 batteries are set up as 24 volts,1 charger will charge both batteries.It will just take twice as long.

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    after using this multi bank charge thats on my boat ill never go back to charging with a regular charger again. love the fact plug in one cord and a few hours later its done all 3 batterys.