12/24 onboard charger

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by jerry9497, Dec 16, 2006.

1. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have a 2 bank 12/24 onboard charger. BPS brand. I run a 24 volt trolling battery. The directions say "allways hook the charger cables to a single battery even on 24 volt setup" ok... I understand that part. But can sombody tell me how that works? I mean batteries are wired + of one battery to - of other battery. So aint that going to get mixed up somehow charging with cables paralell and batteries in series? Understand the question? I was wondering how that works, maybe since motor not running then not really 24 circuit? anyway, in my quest to be a know it all I rate that like a microwave. I don't no much about it.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jerry, I have one of those chargers. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I remember reading that it will automatically balance the load between the two batteries, or something like that, like if one is weaker than the other. Anyway, if one set of wires was disconnected, it wouldn't read both batteries and it wouldn't charge correctly, if at all, but if both set of wires are connected to the same battery, as in a 12v system, it is tricked into thinking you have two batteries in equal states of discharge. With the wires connected to both batteries in a 24v system, it is reading each battery separately, no matter whether they are in series or parallel. I'm convinced they designed that little box to be smarter than me. :lol:

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, that box is deffinately smarter than the guy posting here.

I once tried to tell my boss that what he wanted me to do wouldn't work, and I was right, in regards to an on board charger. Smoked those wires in an instant.

You don't have to understand the directions, but you better follow them.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Multi-bank chargers have separate charging circuits for each battery, each with a separate ground. So it doesn't matter that the batteries are interconnected in series or parallel; the charging circuit only "sees" the battery it is connected to.

As Bob says, just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    OK I will go along with that, makes me feel better cause they cost so much more than portable charger. It's smart like that! seperate grounded chargers sounds like a winner also. Thanks fellows