12/24 Lake Tillery

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jfwillia1998, Dec 26, 2007.

1. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey Everyone,

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. I had a really nice day on the water Christmas Eve day. It started out pretty rough, though. I was only able to get about 18 fish for bait, some of them pretty small. Only one gizzard shad, the rest were bream and perch. Next was the fog. I should be embarrased to say this, but it's too funny not to share. It was so thick that I managed to get completely turned around twice. I had gone a good distance both times until I got close enough to shore to notice landmarks that were the opposite direction of where I wanted to go. Glad I was going very slow.

Anyway, I ended up fishing a bait ball in 35-40 ft. of water, and another spot in about 32-35 ft, and caught a 1,3,6,9,10,10,13,16,& 27 lbs. The 3 lb. was a channel, all the rest were blues.

Later,
    John

2. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Nice day John, I know you had a lot of fun. That fog can be rough, I've got turned around in it too. Congrats on the catch.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good report, John. Thanks. Now you may just need to put a gps in you kit, to keep from getting turned around. :smile2:

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like you had a good morning. Too bad there weren't any big ones. As for the fog, I usally get where IAm going before daylight. At night, you can see better in the fog. Becasue of the lights. It helps to have a compass on you at all times. I just leave one in my winter coat pocket and forgets it's there until i need it. The big fish are out there. Iam going to try going later in the week. I've been working too much, need a vaction.

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Nice day there John! THe fog can be tough, but I just use my GPS to get where I'm going in the fog. It makes a big difference. You have to watch for some guys that will run wide open in the fog. I have a fog horn in the boat for that reason and have blown it at bass fisherman seeral times that are flying by. How was the bait situation? They should be getting back in the creeks now. Thanks, see ya

6. hoghandlernc1

hoghandlernc1 New Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats on your catches!!!!!:big_smile:

7. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Thanks for the report. You did C your away out of a skunk congrats.

8. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I've thought about a GPS, monday made me think harder about it. Tomahawk, the compass in the pocket is a good idea. I was happy to get the 27#, it's my biggest so far. I thought I had finally broken the 30 lb. mark when I saw it, it was a long fish just not fat enough. I weighed it on two scales to be certain. The batteries in the camera crapped out on me - I'll never use rechargeables in it again. I know that's not that big to some of you fellas, but it's big to me. Can't wait to get a bigger one.

The bait was hard to come by, and most of it was bream. A few perch, and one gizzard shad. Anyone know where Tillery's shad have gone?

Thanks,
    John

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    john it dont matter what we think is big. 27lb blue is nothing to sneeze over. thats a respectable fish in anybodies game plan. i have seen days i would love to catch a 27lber or a 7lber. you caught good numbers of blues and had a nice kicker to make your day. thats what fishing is all about. fog is fog so you still cannot see even with a gps. the gps is nice to know which way your going buts its still dangerous to travel in fog with because you cannot see. i dont take anything for granted in the fog. gps dont show them floating logs in tillery. congrates on your pb.

10. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    John, glad to see you had a good day, caught some nice fish including a 27 pnd that would have brought home big fish against the best on the yadkin on 3 different tournements

11. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice job John. I dont know of anyone on this site that wouldn't say that was a big fish, well maybe only one but anyway great job on the pb. Out of the blue you will catch a 30lbr then the 40 before you blink you eyes. I bet you catch them before the spring. Again nice job fishing today.

Eddie

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Don't feel bad John I have lost my way in the fog too. It can be very disorienting when you can't see past the bow or stern. What is really scary is when you hear a boat obviously on plane go zooming by. I guess they use g.p.s.:tounge_out: BTW that is a great catch. I agree with the Turfman. You will latch onto a monster soon.

13. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Nice catch John a 27lb is a nice one . I fished all day wensday in the rain at Tillery and a 15 lb was the biggest that I could catch .Bait was tough for me also . Great Job.

14. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I never go faster than just above idle in the fog, but GPS lets me know which way I'm headed anyway. What was the water temp. down there fellas. I got a guided trip for crappie and stripers on Sat. and was curious. I'm thinking about putting in at Lilly's Bridge and fishing the lower end, since it seems the upper end has been scarce lately for any decent fish from what I hear from several sources. You can bet this is from the lack of current due to low rain fall. Any of ya'll notice any current when you were fishing this past week? Thanks, see ya

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    John that sounds like a good trip! I don't know of anyone on this board that has culled a 27 pounder out at a tournament!!! :wink:

16. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Thanks for all the congrats. I haven't been catfishing for about 3 months - new baby, new house, new job - so it was nice to have a successful return. All of the things above will conspire to reduce my time in the good cat lakes, but I'll still make the trip every once and while. And hopefully get some trips in with Jeff (CMJ), who has been a great teacher and friend to go fishing with.

Rookie, there was some current the other morning, followed by that weird reverse current for a while. There were quite a few gulls working the water between 24/27 bridge and Jacob's creek, but I didn't see anyone land stripers. I can't say they didn't as I was focused on my rods, but I didn't see any. Good luck with the trip.

17. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just want to remind you guys about the buoys at Tillery. They don't always stay in the same place. Last trip I noticed one had moved. For those of you who have GPS, set some waypoints next time you're out. Some that I set are the boat ramp, the mouth of that creek, the bridge, and the mouth of Jacob's creek.

18. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I was getting 48 to 50 deg surface temp .I was getting a warmer temp at mid lake than upper.