115 yamaha wont idle

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BigCATDADDY01, Feb 21, 2008.

1. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi guys, I bought a 1988 stratos last year and only had it out a couple of times but each time I had it out It would run great at higher RPM's but when I try to Idle up to a dock or the trailer or anything It starts running rough I can tap the electric choke and It will stay running or if I hold it at a fast idle it wont die sometimes it just coughs and dies instantly any Ideas what I might try first to get the problem solved. any help would be great thanks.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Start with the basics in trouble shooting. Compression test and spark test.

You need to order you a manuel for tht engine, it will more then pay for itself.
    Check all the fuel system all the way from inside the tank to the carbs for breakage leakage and anything that would hinder fuel from flowing to the carbs right. Check all the ground and other conections at the coils. I am talking take all them loose and clean every bolt and wire so it will have a good clean connection.

3. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bubbakat gave the best suggestion to everyone with a boat. Buy a shop manual BEFORE you need one. I work on a lot of motorcycles and they are a whole different animal but suffer from the same problem boat motors do. Lack of operation. If the motor sat for an extended period time prior to you buying it and you don't find anything out from the above I'd do four things. 1. New spark plugs 2. Add Sea Foam (Auto Zone) about twice as strong as they recommend on the can. The first thing that clogs up are the idle jets on most small engines. I've poured Sea Foam on the solid hard brown goop inside a float bowl that has sat for over 3 years and it all goes into solution. 3. Make sure you have good fuel. Tapping the choke helping tells you it's probably a fuel issue. 4. Listen to Bubbakat. I've read a bunch of his posts and if he doesn't know I think a guys in for some trouble.

4. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I just ordered a manual on line it should be here monday. I just changed the spark plugs and they immediately turned black as if the motor was running rich Im not real keen on 2 strokes maybe black is normal, or maybe not, Im not sure. when the engine dies I have to choke it sometimes to get it to start back or hit the gas. and then it smokes really bad. thanks again for the help any more info anyone might have will be greatly appreciated.

5. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Bubba, I just saw that you were from Mcminnville. I work for Grooms Engines in Nashville I live in Hermitage Im gettin ready to move back to southern Indiana where Im originally from. If I cant figure this thing out maybe I could bring it to you or maybe you could reccomend someone around the area. thanks

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 2000 Yamaha 115 it has been hard on plugs, even when new.
    Any time I have idlingtrouble I replace plugs.
    Get your plugs at auto parts store, about ten bucks for four.
    Are you can get plugs at boat house for thurty bucks, same
    plugs.
    I run ring free in my 115 all the time, one oz. to 10 gal.
    Ring free make by Yamaha.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    On your carbs is an easily accesable brass drain plug. Using a 10mm socket or wrench, remove one of them and you'll probably see a caramel looking coating on it.

That'll be an idication of what the inside of the carb looks like.

The lowest carb would be the one most sludged up.

8. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've seen guys try to use the el-cheapo 2 stroke oil they sell at Wally Mart or Home Cheapo for weed eaters in expensive marine engines. Fouls plugs like crazy. I'd opt for the good stuff. There is a big difference. Yamalube is made in two different formulas one for injector and one for pre-mix. I don't know the difference. Guys here may have a proven favorite. I've never been big on "miracle additives" but Sea Foam made me a believer. But there is no substitute for a good carb tear down and cleaning. Looks like some guys here even have photos they will share. What a great source for help.