115 johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jeffw51, Jul 18, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    I have a 70 series 115 johnson,starts easy,idles great, runs out good, but it will die and is impossible to re start? if i let it sit for several hours it will restart and run perfectly until problem starts all over again.please help!

2. KajunPCB

KajunPCB New Member

State:
    Panama City Beach,Fl.
    sounds like you could have a electrical problem...maybe a bad powerpack or coil that once it heats up it shorts out.........as with all outboard problems you need to start with a compression check...then a spark check (must jump a 7/16th gap) then check fuel system last...

i would buy a $ 10 spark checker and bring it with you and when this happens immediately check your spark.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good advice chad and wecome aboard. That is the basics of the start of any trouble shooting.
    After you have done what chad has suggested then look on the power pack and I thing the kill wire is located on the number 1 screw should be black with a yellow stripe. Take that wire loose and see if it fires and if it doese the key switch is at fault. If you will leave the model number I tell you how to test the power pack

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I found where you posted the model number in the orignal post and will look and see what type of ign system they used on those engines. Sorry I missed it.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I checked these engines out and they come out with a pulse pack on them.
    When was the last time the water pump and T stats were changed. It could be getting hot and that would explain why it will start after a cool down

I'll post you a test for the pulse pack but if it waits until it gets warm to break down its going to be hard to find the problem unless you do it on the water.

Those engines required a strong battery to spin it over to get it started. It has to spin at least 300 rpm's to start. Sometimes the starter would draw more amps then required to start and this would take away the amps needed to activate the pulse pack.

6. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    water pump is new, should i test for spark only after it dies ?what am i looking for with compression test?I have mounted a new 70 lb trolling motor just so i could test motor on water and not get stranded,im ready.thanx guys!

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would do a compression check and spark test in the yard and also on the water after she gets warm and won't start.
    Do you know where the kill wire is on that engine.
    On compression any thing from 100 up is good and all cylinders should be withen 10 to 15% of each other.

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    not quite sure where kill wire is ,your earlier post said maybe black wire w yellow stripe #1 screw? i have no kill switch visible near key, what is a kill wires purpose if i dont have a kill switch at key?will boat operate ok with it permanately removed?

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    How do you shut that engine off

10. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    sorry for my stupidity,I was thinking about the kind of kill switch that hooks to life vest and shuts motor off when you fall out of boat.