110 lb Blue Catfish on Tailrace: listen up Chewy!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Apr 10, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The guy who caught the 95 # Blue a couple of weeks back did it again last night: a 110# plus a couple of 70# fish. Don't know exactly where or how he was fishing, and I can't blame him for keeping quiet.
    I saw the fish today and it's very healthy, unlike the last one. I tried to get a picture, but with the glare and the turbulence in the holding tank, it came out pretty crappy with my camera phone. I had another camera in the truck, but didn't want to put any more stress on the fish. A coworker managed to hold her up for an instant to snap the picture, but it didn't come out well at all. Sorry about the quality of the pics. There were some better ones taken earlier, and maybe I can get hold of one of them at some point.
    For those of you who have never seen a 100# fish up close, it's awesome! This was my first one that big. Wish we could have taken her out for more pics, but I understand Bass Pro is coming to get this one, too. I think the Savannah store.. At least this fish is in good condition.

Attached Files:

2. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Thanks a lot for the effort. I would really love to see some more shots of this monster.

And pass the word on - if this guy will pay for the gas for the boat and the truck, and bring the bait, I'll let him fish with me. :wink:

110#, PLUS a couple of 70's? He's got to be the other guy that's fishing in my hole.

Rekkon he took a walk down to the cross-roads?:smile2:

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks Tommy for keeping us posted. Those are fish of a life time. Makes me want to spend a week working that place.:wink:

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Thanks Tommy for the post and update.He has got him a mighty fine hole he is fishing,Still hate to see it go to Bass Pro tough:sad2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tommy thanks for sharing.110# is a fish of a lifetime for most. Congrats to him. I agree with another post I hate to see it end up in a tank. CPR all the way.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    So the official weight is 110lbs and I reckon we have a
    NEW STATE RECORD.
    Man isnt that something 2 of the biggest freshwater fish in SC having the records broke on both of them in the same month. ​

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't heard yet whether the guy applied for a state record or not. There are certain requirements that must be met in order to do that, of course, so we will have to wait a little longer to find out for certain.
    At any rate, it's a once in a lifetime catch for most people, one to be appreciated.

8. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    what else can you say but WOW.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'll have a nervous breakdown if I ever catch one that big! :smile2:

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    awesome fish.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I just heard from another source that the official weight was 108-9, so the fish didn't quite make the new record. I think it would have had to weigh 109-12 to break the record. Tough...

12. SloWater

SloWater New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for letting everyone know and thanks for staying on top of these things.
    I have never seen one that size. If I caught a big Cat (50 lb plus) I would not be able to boat it, just cry and let it go, net, boat and me too small.

Thanks again Tommy.
    Gordon

13. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Thanks Tommy for the report and the "almost" pics. I too would love to catch one that big!:eek:oooh:

14. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Thanks tommy for the info, man a cat fish that size i would be very thankful:smile2: that guy has a honey hold:smile2::cool2:

15. chewy

chewy New Member

State:
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    Thanks Tommy for the report, I am hitting the tailrace tomorrow. I hope I can put just a 70 lber in the boat. We are going to go up by the dam and fish that area for a while and then drift down river focusing on stump piles and underneath the ledges. Anyone know if the shad are still running?

16. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks Tommy for the info. Man a 108lb catfish thats awsome:smile2:!!!!

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't been on the tailrace lately, but the shad should still be running, although they will start dropping of pretty quickly. I know they are still running pretty strong on the rediversion, maybe the best run in a long time. Good luck with the fishing, Matt.

18. chewy

chewy New Member

State:
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    Well it is official the shad are not running anymore. My son and I got on the water about 8:30 AM, had to help the wife get my daughter ready for school, anyway fished by the dam drifted a while and anchored a while. Managed to drum up a 30#and a 4# blue and a 1# flathead. Not too bad I was just hglad to get on the water. I am heading up to Jocasee next week to see if I can smack the trout around.:cool2:

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    This is a picture of the 108# fish while it was in a holding tank:

Attached Files: