11 May, Potomac River Report

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by mohicks, May 12, 2007.

1. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    We launched Friday at 3:30pm and fished the outgoing tide. We caught 2 good fish between 6:00 and 7:00, 28' and 16'. We were approached by a MD Marine officer, who was looking for folks keeping illegal rockfish. We told him we were fishing for blues, but he didn't seem to believe us. He proceeded to inquire about our "cut bait", which consisted of shad. He told us he couldn't tell if they were hickory or gizzarrd because there were no heads. We assured him they were gizzards. Make sure you know how to describe the difference if your stopped.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Thanks mo must have a rookie on the water again maybe I need to care the pictures again to help him out :lol:

3. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I was on the boat with Mo when the MD DNR officer checked us. This guy just would not believe that we were fishing for catfish. He asked us at least 4 times where we had the rockfish. He actually seemed a bit shocked and let down that we were abiding by all of the rules and regs of the river. Truth be told I would love to catch a couple of rockfish but would'nt keep any of them untill the season opens on the 15 and even then would probably through them back unless they were hooked bad.
    Has anyone here caught any rocks? I wouldnt mind tangling with a few of them before they head back out to the bay.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok well I meet the New DNR officer today at 3:30 and at that time I still had 11 shad. So he now knows what a mud shad looks like and we also when over the rock or catfish deal as well. But with the tournament and BOC decals on my boat my BOC shirt and hat and a long talk about catfish that he doesn't even know the river has well you get the rest. No very happy but he will catch on so lets see how long before he comes over to my boat again ROOKIES:big_smile:

Anyway we fished for 7 hours had about 30 fish 37,31 and 7 in the 20's bait is everywhere and so are the gar today smoots bay i saw maybe 20 in 3 hours

5. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Tim, you're getting the old boy all riled up now and he's gonna be after everybody!! I should be alright though, since I have yet to get a shad in my cast net:sad2:

Do you guys let the net sink a ways before you retrieve it, or just below the surface? I'll be out there practicing with it this week a couple mornings.

6. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    In my experience, you have to let the net sink. Location is the main obstacle. Bob R and I have had good luck at the mouth of the occoquan this spring. Last summer, we got most of our bait in Belmont Bay. It just takes practice and trying different spots until you find something that works. If you can get a good spread with your net, you're 90% there.

7. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    I can get it to open up nicely...BUT...its only a 6 footer. I may get a bigger one now that I can throw it.

8. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Dan catching bait is just like fishing, you have to do alot of prospecting around untill you find a couple of spots that will consistently produce. Last year Mo and I would spend more time chasing bait than fishing. But now we have a few reliable spots and havent had to much trouble catching what we need.

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    There is technically a reg in the nontidal regs that says you can't cut the heads or tails off of the fish, to allow for proper identification as stated on the site: "It is Unlawful (illegal)...13. To remove the head and tail of fish in possession while at the fishing location. The head and tail shall remain attached in such a manner as to permit identification of fish species and total length." but potomac is a tidal water of maryland... although the MD Tidal Regs don't cover it, instead a set of regs only found on the PRFC (Potomac Rivers Fisheries Commission) website which is off of a Virginia State Site (http://www.prfc.state.va.us/index.htm) for some strange reason (seeing as Potomac is "officially" Maryland's property).

That site only shows size regs which differ from MD regs (White Perch is most notable, where PRFC says 6" min while MD regs state no size limit) and do not restict methods of fishing and anything else about fishing as long as you aren't in a tributary of the Potomac.

The Tidal regs for MD state your allowed to 4. to use a cast net (up to 10 feet in radius) in the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries where nets are permitted. (nothing else said about where its permitted or not)

5. to keep any size white perch if caught by hook and line. [B/](goes against PRFC[/B]

As well as "to have in one's possession aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland more than fifteen (15) pounds of any fish CUT UP upon which a size or weight limit is prescribed by law or regulations." But that doesn't apply to Mud shad (Gizzard shad) for which there are clearly no restrictions on...

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THAT DNR OFFICERS DON'T KNOW THE REGS ALL THE TIME...

Not to mention that the PRFC regs are not listed anywhere in the MD reg book handed out to EVERY FISHERMAN WHO BUYS A LICENSE, nor is the link anywhere easily accessable on the MD DNR website to find the regulations, yet ". Knowing where you are fishing is important because licensing requirements, season and limits can be, and sometimes are, quite different. It is your responsibility to know what the laws are where you are fishing, crabbing or oystering.(PRFC):roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

I'd say if a dnr officer tells you a reg not in the book, have him prove it to you (ie the white perch reg) to see if he knows where the reg is from before you just blindly obey...