#11 Blake and Lamb Double Long spring traps

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 15, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I found 10 #11 Blake and Lamb double long spring traps, all for 49.99, is this a good deal? and will these traps work for racoons? the seller claims theyre great for racoons, btu i figured id ask yall first, so is this a good buy, and are these good traps for racoons?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The #11s will work on coon,mink and smaller stuff fine Kev . I like a 1 1/2 better tho.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i would rather the blake and lamb 11 over the 1 1/2 anyday. they are far better trap. and plenty strong. you did good by getting them

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    My experience with the 1 1/2 a coon can get the longspring wedged against something and release the pressure and escape. Sometimes all I had was 1 1/2s so I'd set 2 at the set.
    I generally used #2s They have double springs. 1 1/2 have one spring.
    When I lost several traps one year I started buying old 1 1/2 and #2 longsprings.
    No body would steal them.
    Yeah Kevin you got a good deal.
    When buying used traps you want to be careful that the springs are still strong.
    If you find a weak one you can slip another spring inside the weak one.
    I used to buy junk traps to use for parts. Its been a lot of years ago and it was easy to find traps at sales.

the best to ya
    just

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    wasnt tryin to say anything bad bout the #11 i should have said I prefer a1 1/2 coil ias that was what I ment ,oh well. I use very few longsprings myself. the compactness of them speeds up setting for me.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    11 are one of the better coon traps, 1 1/2 coils are good to. and their a some more. little griz, etc. price is't bad for new are close to it. I would think you would like them,
    Jim

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Bob, the way to prevent this, is to change the traps swivel point.
    Drill a hole on the frame opposite of the spring and place the swivel and chain there.
    By doing that, it will change the angle of pull. Instead of pulling away from the spring, it'll pull towards the spring and a stronger hold.

:004: Will

Forgot to mention, with a double long spring trap, it would help a lot to clamp a center swivel on it.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

out of the gazillion coon ihave caught i have never had one get out of a 11 double not one. i cant say the same thig for the 1 1/12 though. matter of fact i have held all kinds of stuff in them from coons to coytes when they decide to work a coon set.always there in the morning

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    im confused, so are the 11 double long spring traps good for racoon sets? and if so how much should i be willing to spend on 10 blake and lamb #11 double long spring traps?

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    dont know nothing myself about spring traps. if it were me id would just find some 220 conibears.

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Yeah, they're good traps. Way it sounds, you'll get a good price on them.
    :big_smile: Heck, by now, you should now how any thread could drift

12. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know about the brand you asked about but a Duke #11 will run $6.99 new and Sleepy Creek will run about $9.69 each for new. I would say you are getting a good deal if you like using double long spring traps.

13. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa

14. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yes the double spring traps are good coon traps.

If you can get 1 1/2 coilspring traps for near the same money I wouldn't get the B&Ls.

good luck
    just