11/25/09 James Report-Buy a landing net with a LONG handle

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Fokromix, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Fokromix

Fokromix Member

State:
    VA
    Left the fam and headed out from home to put in around 9:00. Still some light mist but flat calm. Ran into J Pritch as we were both trying to gather bait which was a little slow. He gave the low down and after a few sets got enough cutters for the day and hit some spots out in main channel. River was still high bit not too much trash and tide was just starting to head out. Managed a pair in the low 20s maybe, both from 20 foot of water or so. Water was mid to low 50s. Since the weather was improving I made a long run to a spot I circled on my map with some boils in the water. Fished it for a good while and nothing, not even a nibble. Tide was now rolling out pretty good so I wanted to set up somewhere else. Decided to move and I reeled them in. As I reeled the last rod I sure enough I knew it..."snagged". Went to pull the anchor and noticed the snag was bouncing a bit. Whatever was on the other end must have swam out of the snag and a 20 minute fight ensued. Plenty of time to think about my knots, snells, and whether my line got caffed while hung up. The fight was complicated by the fact the anchor was no longer holding since I started to lift it and I'm on my smallest rod. Been too long since I fought a solid fish so I was cautious with the drag. I did enjoy hearing the guides squeak and groan and the line vibrate and whine with tension. Stubborn fish none the less. Got her in the net and she looked good. A new PB 58.

Set the camera up on the mini tri pod for some pics and then set her back in. As I let go and the boat rocked I heard "clunk, ploop". Uh oh. My knife?, a weight?, please no not a rod?. Nope it was the camera falling off the pedestal seat, hitting the deck and bouncing with tri pod, into the water. Hmmm...you know that really mad but no one to blame but yourself feeling? But wait I was only in 8 foot of water. I extended the net handle and fish around for 5 minutes or so(factoring in current and sink rates sticked to a grid pattern) and low and behold...I net the camera ... While my 8 year old olympus is probably ruined I did get the card with the pics.

Putzed around for a while longer and had one other interesting thing while hitting some wing dams. A large cargo ship and a barge pass right next to me and the pressure wave caused a big swell in the water. Acted like a mini tsunami...maybe 3-4 foot tall. Poured in over the wing dams and then sucked everything back out. When that happened all 4 rods I had out got bites. Landed 3 of the 4, probably 6-14 lbs. A hit or miss but overall fun day and by the end the weather was "Perfect". 6 fish total. Not sure whether I was prouder of landing the fish or the camera.

Attached Files:

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Real nice fish man !!!!
    I lost a camera to a lake last year myself .
    Got a new one on black friday last year...lol
    It is wierd when those barge pass by the fish bite like crazy
    I have had it happen on the Mississippi , caught a 72 pound flat about 5 years
    back in 12 feet of water when a barge passed by .
    Sure wish I had a camera then , thought of taking it home but I was 45 miles from the house and figured it was best to release the beast .
    Lucky for me the son in law was there to witness the monster .
    Congrats on a good time fishing , besides the camera part...lol

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Get her done Dicky. I knew today would be good. My Va Wildlife Calendar says so. Huge excellent fish symbol.:big_smile:

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on the PB and landing your camera, hope it still works. I know how that is whenever a fish snatches my rod/reel in the water and I run in after it. Get it back everytime :big_smile: knock on wood. Hope to get a PB this weekend too. Keep the reports coming brother, tight lines

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    WTG on the PB! Nice story to go with it. Congrats!

6. guscipi

guscipi New Member

State:
    va
    Nice fish. Congrats on your PB. Did you find bait at DB or NT ?

7. Fokromix

Fokromix Member

State:
    VA
    NT with a little patience.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice meeting you Dicky and big congrats on your new PB! That's a heck of a fish!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dicky for sharing an interesting story with us. Enjoyed. Congrats on the new PB. WTG.

10. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the PB. Good story and pic

11. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Congrats on the PB and of course saving the picture. WTG