10HP limit?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by bootshowl, Mar 8, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    In Indiana it's getting common for lots of smaller fishing lakes to be electric only legal. But I keep hearing whispers that down the road fisherpeople may have to contend with a 10HP limit on the boats to help with pollution, air & water....anyone else hearing the same rumors?

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i'm confused. do you mean that the electric only lakes are going to go to 10 HP minimum or that all lakes that are unrestricted will go to 10HP? I don't see that happening, the boating world would throw a fit. Just a little confused on what u meant there

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Several of my local lakes that are controled by the Missouri Department of Conservation have limits. A couple of them are electric only and a few more have a 10 or 15 HP maximum. Most of the rest are posted as "no wake" but not many people pay much attention to that.

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I can't comment on your area, but in Ohio, the smaller lakes have been all
    electric for years. The only good thing here is you can use gas powered boats in those lakes using the trolling motors only. One big draw back is
    generaly the smaller lakes have no docks and the ramps leave allot to be desired, you can't put the boat on the trailer without getting wet. I like some of these lakes because the pressure is less and have nice cats and
    12 tyo 14 inch slabs. I am very seriously thinking about building an all electric boat, around 14 foot, with the motor on the back.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I would be delighted if this came to pass...I hate all the high speed, high noise, big wake boat traffic. Sadly, it'll never happen, at least not on big water.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    To clarify, the electric only, you can use a boat equip. with gas motor, ya just can't use a gas motor, trolling only. What I'm hearing is the larger lakes that are approved for gas motors will restrict them to 10 HP max. to help with the pollution. Pollution is a problem. At Patoka lake now, 8800 acres, it's only recommended to eat one meal a week from the fish there, & none if you are pregnant or a nursing mother, or have health problems.
    But there's a lot of sking an race boats on it too. If they go this route, than yer high HP boats would be for use on rivers only, and all the inland lakes will be 10 HP maximum. That's what I'm hearing is being suggested.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Many miles of state and federal waters in Georgia are rated for under 10 HP.No matter the type of propulsion.Yes,even "excess horses pulling a boat"was a comment I heard a warden use to a person running a fifteen HP.motor with a 9.9 cowling on it.Some folk got cute,but they have a list of manufactures serial numbers on the other end of that radio.Even the wardens use the smaller motors.I have only once seen large motors with the DOT pushing barges for bridge repair work on any of these waters.The Okefenokee Swamp and the upper Ogeechee river are such areas.Large boats can not go against the current with out a large wake in small,shallow,narrow,swift rivers where you can not plane off for safety reasons.Obstructions,sharp turns and current speeds often force a large craft at bogging or maximum wake speeds to even proceed against the current.I have been in both sides of this situation.It is life threatening to small boats and dangerous for the larger in many situations.I am old.I have seen the befores and afters.Human fatalities,injury and damage caused these changes on the Ogeechee River.Unfortunately 10 HP is still too much horsepower for some to control.These laws are just one of the many reasons I recommend people buying a small motor to start off with.Had it not been for theft,I would still have and believe that I would still be using the 1 1/2 HP.motor that I started out with 50 + years ago.I have used one for trolling,get me back or just to take along for float trips to boat rentals.Many strangers have loaned me a boat,as it is hard to damage a boat with a 2 HP.Be it a 2,4,6,5 or 9.9 HP's.They all were good motors to "tote" and fish with for me.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Big Brother sure comes up with some stupid ideas.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    So the pollution that in the water that's causing the fish to not be eating is? Gas fumes or oil slicks? Or is it more a long the lines of lead and mercury and the other common ones.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not to mention the runn off from agricultural products. Lets face it... the fish have had it.

I hadn't heard anything about a HP limitation on lakes. I did hear of a movement to ban 2 cycle outboards on Corp of Engineer lakes. I can see protecting the envioronment, but it seems these things should be grandfathered in and the sale of 2 cycles stopped before they are prohibited.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Several lakes and reservoirs in Jersey have had an electric only and a max of 9.9HP for quite some time now.

12. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    In my aread we dont have any such restrictions that I know of. you can put any boat you want on th water, and run that boats engine regardless of size. but thats just Tx. If there are restrictions, I dont know about them.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The 9.9 limit has been around for many years, like myself. :cool2:

In the early seventy's I purchased a new 15 HP Evinrude. One of the lakes I fished had the 9.9 limit. The Evinrude 15 and 9.9 looked/weighted exactly the same other than being rated for more RPM and the sticker on the cover. I ordered a 9.9 HP sticker and removed the 15 HP sticker until I sold the motor.

14. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    In my area most of the local lakes (less than an hour drive) are electric only. Nocamixon (1,400 acres) was 9.9 but the limit for the last few years was "temporarily" raised to 18. I think it has less to do with pollution than keeping the speed boats/water skiers/jet skis off the small bodies of water, most of which are only 100 acres or less, so you can fish in relative peace and safety.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Several lakes in my area are Electric only On the 10hp motors Iwas told yrs ago that the 10hp limit wasthe reason johnson started makeing the 9.9 and mercuy the 9.8:tounge_out: