Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fish deserves it's own thread now..

Video:
http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=1714819

Details:
103lbs, caught by Wellington Missouri couple. It sounds like it was on rod and reel? Fish currently resides in Independence MO BassPro aquarium.
I have no details on where it was caught, when, bait, etc, but it must have been recent. Please fill in any new information as you learn it.

Prediction: This could be a very good year to be a "westie" :0a36:

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I thought rod and reel, but then at the end of the clip they were talking about the alternative means record, so I don't know. Nice fish, though. And yeah, last year was pretty good even with all the high water, surprise spring cold snap, etc. If we can get some good weather this could be a great year!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Westerman's Machine Shop
(816) 240-2498
14975 Shady Ln, Wellington, MO 64097

Call them tomorrow and find out, Wellington is between Napoleon and Lexington. Branden call some East KC peeps. :roll_eyes:

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Yeah, I wonder where Blake (Whiskers9512) has been. He lives over in Wellington or Napoleon. I'll give him a buzz tomorrow and see what he's heard:wink: I know he knows a lot of folks over that way that run lines. I'd call him tonight but his wife probably wouldnt appreciate me calling to talk fishing on Valentines day. I'm alread in the doghouse with my own wife 'cause I got to working on the boat and flat forgot what day it was:crazy:

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Man,oh man, it is shaping up to be a good year for catfishing the big rivers!:big_smile:

Thats three in the last several months topping 100 pounds! WOOT! WOOT!

Sounds to me like a rod and reel catch from the video!

Oh, I forgot about Radish's BIG CATCH........Make that FOUR to top 100 lbs in recent times!

Go Big River Fishing!!!!

How long until the WORLD RECORD is shattered????:eek:oooh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Man,oh man, it is shaping up to be a good year for catfishing the big rivers!:big_smile:

Thats three in the last several months topping 100 pounds! WOOT! WOOT!

Sounds to me like a rod and reel catch from the video!

Oh, I forgot about Radish's BIG CATCH........Make that FOUR to top 100 lbs in recent times!

Go Big River Fishing!!!!

How long until the WORLD RECORD is shattered????:eek:oooh:

I say SKYNYRD in a KCcatfish tournament.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I know, but that's what they were saying, the alt record was 117 and the lady said they were "on the bubble" of that record. That's why I was thinking it might have been a setline instead of R n R. They didn't say much about the fight or the initial hit like most people would if it was a R n R catch, but that could have just been edited out or something. Either way a big fish from the west side of the stat:wink:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know, but that's what they were saying, the alt record was 117 and the lady said they were "on the bubble" of that record. That's why I was thinking it might have been a setline instead of R n R. They didn't say much about the fight or the initial hit like most people would if it was a R n R catch, but that could have just been edited out or something. Either way a big fish from the west side of the stat:wink:

I agree, no offence to the peeps of Wellington, but the alternative method is usually the norm. down in those parts. :roll_eyes:

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
They said "once it realized it was on the line it went where it wanted to" etc....

That sounds like a rod and reel catch to me. The public relations person was merely answering a question about the largest catfish ever in captivity in Missouri.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Andrew's right, though, they run a lot of lines on this stretch. I'll call Blake tomorrow and see if he's heard anything. Trust me out in my neck of the boondocks a 103# fish is probably the most interesting thing to happen in the last 6 months:smile2:

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Wait a minute.......isn't the rod and reel record for Missouri only 103 lbs??? Seems there would be some possible state record talk if it was that close. Maybe it was an alternative catch.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wait a minute.......isn't the rod and reel record for Missouri only 103 lbs??? Seems there would be some possible state record talk if it was that close. Maybe it was an alternative catch.
Guess will have to wait for " the rest of the story, Good Day.:big_smile:

Skipeye, I've been away to long, you changed your avatar. Hunting seasons over and I'm back.:wink:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.