102 pound catfish in North Carolina?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Randync, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anybody hear of a guy from Shelby catching a 102 pound catfish? A friend of mine is supposed to send me a picture of it. I don't know the details of where and when it was caught. If he sends the pic I will try to post it here. My friend is a fishing buddy with the guy who caught it. I don't have his phone number to call and ask, but he works with one of my kids and is supposed to bring the pic for my son to give to me.

2. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    New info. It was supposed to have been caught on a whole hotdog in Midway Lake, in or near Shelby. Still have not seen the pic, it could be BS but maybe not. Ive never heard of that lake but I don't much about Shelby.

3. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wow, I've heard of some big cats but 102lbs? would love to see a picture of it.:big_smile:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Midway Lake is a pay lake just east of Shelby on Hwy. 74. There was a "record" carp that was released there back in the early 90's, and it may have been the state record smallmouth buffalo that was caught on Lake Wylie, but I am not sure of that.

I know many of the lakes transport in catfish from other lakes, so it would not surprise me.

5. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Species Weight Location Date Angler Lure/Bait Photo
    blue catfish
    85 lbs Lake Norman 6/19/04 Joel P. Lineberger White perch
    channel catfish Record Up for Grabs! n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a
    flathead catfish 78 lbs Cape Fear River 9/17/05 Brian Newberger Live eel
    white catfish 13 lbs Lake James 5/21/90 Jerry Wayne Bentley Night crawler
    brown bullhead 3 lbs 12 oz Buck Hall Creek, Duplin County 4/26/97 Gregory Dale Hughes Night crawler

I just copied this from the N.C. Wildlife website. If I had caught a 102 lb. cat from a pay lake, Jordan Lake or a mud hole in my back yard, I would be putting in for a state record for some kind of catfish species !!!!! You can be sure you would have seen a pic of it in The News and Observer or on Channel 5. That is as soon as I was released from the emergency room for a heart attack or stroke !

6. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I don't think A fish from a pay lake will qualify for a state record.

7. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    in february on lake moultrie a guy from north carolina cought and released a 102lb blue cat this is prob the fish story going around.

8. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    It might not qualify as a state record in Ohio or Indiania but it will in North Carolina if it was taken on rod, reel, hook and using legal bait or lure.l I just got off the phone with Faye ( ext. 1 ) at The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission. She wants the person that caught that catfish to contact The Wildlife people in the county the fish was caught. If true and can be verified by a state fish biologist in the county it was caught can be a new N.C. record. pm me for names and phone numbers and I'll give you the info. Or call 1-919-707-0220. Wildlife Resources wants to hear from YOU !

9. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    1. In NC as long as you catch a fish in water inside the State lines, it counts as a record. Pay lake, puddle, pond, lake, river, tank at Bass Pro when no one is looking, whatever.

2. "85 lbs. Lake Norman 6/19/04 Joel P. Lineberger White perch
    flathead catfish 78 lbs Cape Fear River 9/17/05 Brian Newberger Live eel"

I am officially changing my last name from Griffin to Griffinberger today and I fully expect to catch a huge catfish at any moment. Get the paperwork ready.

3. I am pretty sure a 102 pound fish in NC would draw as much attention as my mother in law does during her all too frequent visits in a nightgown that shoulda been thrown away in 1962.

4. A fish over 100 pounds will be caught in NC and it will be from a lake. I hope I am the one having to lug it to the scales.

Thank you,

Greg Griffinberger

10. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Know what you mean Greg. I think it will be caught in The Cape Fear ! I'm going to start looking for him Sat. morning somewhere between Aventts Ferry Damn and Jordan Dam. Might have to get crusingman to go help me find him. He says hes going to fish the 42 ramp area Fri. night. If you don't catch the great fish maybe you could post a pic of your mother-in-law !

11. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    For some reason, my mother in-law doesn't show up in pictures......spooky!!!!:lol:

Anywho.......There is at least one large Flathead that is feeding pretty regular about 100 yards into the Haw on the right hand side. We have been fishing above that several times and it sounds like a deer falling in the water. Way to big to be a bass even though there are many big bass in that section.

I have caught Flats all the way to the US1 bridge (last one on the Haw before the dam) so I think there are a bunch up that way.

Lob a big bream (tons under the before mentioned bridge) to the bank in that area and see what happens. I have not had the time to get back there. We will fish it a few times before the end of July however...

Good luck.....

12. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok I just found out I can't get in touch with my friend until Monday, HIS friend is the guy who is supposed to have caught it. Im trying to get his cell phone number from another friend, but Im not sure he has it. My phone recently met a bad fate and all my numbers were lost with it, when I got a new one. I really hope the guy caught the fish or Im going to look like an idiot.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

looks are not everything we have all heard one thing and passed it along as truth and then had to eat crow for a little while. It just puts hair on your chest. lol

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the NC state record info, guys. Now just to break one of them.....:cool2:

15. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I'd have to see pictures and scales before I'd believe that one. I'm not saying it ain't true, but you can believe if I'd caught it, I'd be on the dang news and in the paper with it in my arms.

16. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    It wouldnt suprise me one bit to see someone catch one that big or bigger around here. Every since i was ayoung boy i have heard about people catching 100 pound plus cats or haveing run ins with them. I am willing to bet my life there is more then one bigger then 100 pounds in the cape fear good luck catchin the old fellow tho.

17. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC

It wouldn't surprise me either, but what does surprise me is that there are not pictures flying around everywhere of it. If I'd caught it, you'd all be sick of seeing it by now LOL!

18. Dizzy

Dizzy New Member

State:
    kings,mtn N.C.
    Errrrrr randy not tryin to ran on your parade dude but i live close to that lake where the biggin was possed to have been caught and this is the first i heard of it ??? Now i maybe wrong but that is my two cents:roll_eyes:

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think if that fish existed it would have surfaced by now...

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Sounds like the one that got away Guys if someone landed a 102 lb catfish we would know about it that day. In today world new moves so far most times in on the air with in hours.