100lb+ CatFish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Grizdog, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Just for the fun of it, lets say you were able to get a 112lb fish along side your boat. Then what would you do? How would you get it in the boat?

I couldn't pick it up to weigh it.....even if I had a 150lb scale. What would be the length and circumference of the thing?

Rather than just posting a photo at the nearest bait shop, how would you get it certified as a state record?

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i would pass out so it wouldnt matter a whole lot :big_smile:

3. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc you will love it

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Personally, I could lift it with no problems, and I imagine most people would have so much adreneline going, they would too.

If not, I would suggest pulling anchor and trying to play the fish to shore, where you could land him on dry land and somehow get him back in the your boat, Either that or play him enough you could get a stringer in his lip, tie the stringer off to the boat, and putt slowly back to the ramp.

Of course I would probably need a clean pair of shorts at the same time!! :crazy::big_smile:

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the b.o.c. we are glad to have ya.

as for the 112# fish, since i dont have a live well even close to that size, i would have to rope it threw the lip and keep it subdued along side of the boat until mr green jeans came. i would probably let it go though actually.

80in bi 80in would be the numbers on a 150+# fish! thats a big tank! lol

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I know an 80 lber was 50 inches long and 37 inches girth:big_smile:. So a 112 lber is gonna be about 55 or 56 inches long and have a bigger girth than 37. Thats my guess anyway.:tounge_out:

You would need to call DNR to get them to the boat ramp with certified scales for the State record,or Sum'pin like that:tounge_out:. Lord knows I'd like to give it whirl one day!:big_smile:

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I think my livewell would handle a fish that big, I usually am fishing with someone else, we would get him in the boat one way or another.:eek:oooh:

8. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Where I fish....Never will have to worry about that happening! Unfortunetly!:embarassed:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Several years back a 108# cat was caught above the Ky Dam. The man could not get it in the boat so he tied it to the side of the boat and idled to the marina where three other men helped him bring the fish in and weigh it. I would like to have a challenge like that.

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yea what CAT said

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I would get the fish in the boat, weigh it on my own scales(150) if it was as big as you speak of, I'd get the fish back in the water asap and keep it near the boat on a rope of course. Call the local DNR asap and tell them to meet me at the nearest CERTIFIED scale (which they have to be) ,If you don't have a camera call a friend to get you one there asap, NO MICKEY MOUSE STUFF,take a bunch of pictures,measure the lenght and girth of the fish, let DNR identify the spieces of fish that it is, sign all the paper work needed, let the witness sign all the paper work, if possible call your local news team,get as many people there as you can as fast as you can to make sure that everything you do is by the rules so the fishes weight will not be disputed by anyone.Then if possible get the fish back to the lake, it did all it can for you so return the favor by sparing its life. Then take a couple nerve pills so you can actually speak calmly.:big_smile:

12. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    would probably need at least a bottle of baby aspirin to stop the heart attack, with a bottle of valium to calm the nerves... Then with me, 4-5 lortab/soma combos for the pain that would be there after the adrenaline wore off...:crazy::tounge_out:

13. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
  14. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    You're right, no telling how bad you could hurt yourself and never no it till it was all over. Big fish make you do some CRAZY stuff.......LOL.......

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I dont understand how everyone is going to put a hole through the fishes jaw at least 1'' in diameter and then let him go you might as well eat him cause I dont believe a fish that big and old will survive the stress or bleeding wound. I have a livewell big enough to hold him and with that being said I believe I will go fish Monticello instead of santee tommorow cause 100+lbers are dropping like flies in there. Wish me luck.:big_smile:

16. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    James putting a little hole in the lip of a fish is harmless. A hole 1" is not needed. You can use a small piece of nylon cord and hold the fish easy.I've caught over 10 flatheads this year that had already been caught and punched for a stringer. If you hav a livewell big enough that's the best thing to do, but not everyone has a big enough livewell to store a fish of that size.I agree and stress that keeping the fish heathly is the main concern. I myself have ways of transporting a large fish. Not everyone has the fish in mind and my guess is there's alot of people out there in the fishing world, if caught a fish that size would only have one thing in mind, THEIRSELVES

17. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcom to the BOC from So.Alabama hope you will enjoy it . Be sure to check out the Library

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree Joey I didnt mean for it to sounds so down on stringers. I am lucky to have a livewell and have stringered many fish and released them I worry more about the stress than anything.

19. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Seems the news of LUNKER cats at Monty has everyone fired up! I can't find the picture anywhere. I called and talked to my buddy that caught it and he is meeting me tomorrow to fish at Monty. We have been fishing together for years so I don't think he has a secret spot or technique that I don't know about. The fish did survive the ordeal and was put back in the lake after 3 days in a bathtub with an aerator. Look I'm just tellin' the story as it was relayed to me. I was not there:sad2: to witness the catch. Since the CPR effort was successful we all have the chance to catch it now:eek:oooh:. It has been 11 years and who knows it very well may weigh 150lbs. :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

SEE YA' ON THE LAKE!!!

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If any of you travlin' fishermen catch one of those 100+ pound monsters, do me a favor and drop him off in the Great Pee Dee! :cat:
    Bill in SC