100 lbs. blue out of cape fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CATFISHGARY1, Apr 19, 2008.

1. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    Anyone heard brian newberger done it again, fri. nite 4-18-2008 , he was fishing the cape fear and caught another big one, he called several guys told them he had another bigger than the last this one was 110-115 lbs. said it was twice as big as the one in the papers last month that he caught . with everyone gathered around to see this monster on certified scales at RiverSide Sports in fayetteville they weighed the fish and it toped out at 73 lbs. its a nice fishbut no 100 pounder ,no wonder the other one he called 86 and this one was twice as big

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like one heck of a fish glad he caught one, hopefully this is going to be a good year and alot of records will be getting broke.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That sounds like quite a day fishing. Congrats

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like he really needs to work on judging fish better. Iam pretty good at it. I usally come within afew pounds of being right. Maybe those guys were right when they said his 86lber looked like a 65lber. It takes awhile to real proficent at judging weight.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Brian Newberger is the best catman I know of in the Carolinas. He said he was going to pull a state record blue out of the Cape Fear, and he may dang well do it.

Wouldn't it be somethng to have one man have the record for the blue and flathead?

That 86 pounder he caught in March was close, real close. He said he has lost a couple at the boat that were near or over 100 pounds. If I had to bet money on someone catching a new state record blue it would be him.

The most admirable quality about him is that he releases all these trophy fish back into the rivers alive!!!

6. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    dont forget the best was ED DAVIS he did hold both of our records and several line class records, (but Brian doesnt catch fish during the tournament) whats the deal with that ....hmmmmmmm!

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...but Brian doesnt catch fish during the tournament) whats the deal with that ....hmmmmmmm!..."

Trust me, I know a lot of fishermen like that. :wink:

The answer is failry simple.

You don't catch monster fish ALL the time. Trophy catfish anglers usually fish when the bite is good and conditions are conducive to a good bite. A trophy fisherman picks the time of day and conditions to fish FOR trophy fish.

The other rule with MOST trophy fishermen is that you don't hear from them unles they are catching something big!! :smile2: So, when all you hear are good reports you tend to think they are catching them all the time.

Tournament anglers fish during set hours and have no control over the weather, moon, or the prevailing bite. Sometimes it all comes together and you catch the monsters on tournament day, but more often than not you see the "trophy anglers" coming to the weigh-ins with less than impressive sacks of fish and the "tournament anglers" coming to the scales with impressive weights.

Tournament angling is about finding a limit of good fish versus ONE monster! :tounge_out:

Neither is better than the other. It is one of the things about catching catfish that gives each of us something to shoot for.

8. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    il agree with you on that , but knowing this guy and what he does is the reaosn of doubt , cheating in the long whiskres tournament the reason there is no long whisker any longer cause of him and some of the other crowd that he fished with, but i take nothing from the fish its a big fish , its the methods he use and try to take credit for being (a great angler) ??

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good luck on breaking ihe record :cool2:

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    He caught 'em on jugs.

He had 'em in a pen.

I have heard it all at tournaments and in the talk of tournaments gone by.

All I know of Brian Newberger are the accounts I have read about. Mike Marsh has written about him several times, and I give Mike credit having a hand on the pulse of what is gossip and knowing what is fact.

I am SURE I have been accused of being a cheater in some of the Lake Wylie tournaments I won with Mudkip last season. We had some amazing fish that doubled the weight of the second place team. This season Billfish76 got on the boat with me and he witnessed first hand what can happen. We caught two thirty pound fish in an hour on a lake where the average weight of each of the winning fish is 6-7 pounds.

I say all this because any one person can pull it all together and magic can happen on the water, but the first words out of the mouths of the competitors is "they cheated".

Somehow Brian is catching big fish. He is apparently dedicated to doing so. I think there is something we all can learn from him.

If you know how to reach him by phone or e-mail PM me and let me know. Hopefully I can con him into coming to Charlotte and talking to the Carolinas Catfish Club!!!

11. bambam77

bambam77 New Member

State:
    nc
    It's just a matter of time before a 100+ comes out of the Cape Fear !!!!

12. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    if you will recall in the mid 90's there was a 108 pounder shocked down below l&d 1,and it is a matter of time

13. cdsova

cdsova New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    he's in there :cool2:

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There's some big fish in that river. My buddy Britton caught the biggest cat I've ever seen in person in the Cape Fear. There's one more pic that Britton has on his camera that wasn't on mine I'll see if he can get it to me to post. There's certainly some monsters out there. I believe that there are several over 100 out there, just got to put the time in and be pretty darn lucky as well to get one that big.

15. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    was he at one of the lock and dams in e-town

16. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    below sugar loaf some friends of mine were at sugar loaf when he came up river stoped and talked to them

17. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    charlie also welcome to the BOC

18. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What do you fish with around that area. I'm thinking about trying it this weekend.

19. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Gary have you ever had one of your tournaments in cape fear up around that area seems like it would be a good place to have one. Probably some monster fish would be caught.

20. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    yes , look under the partners of catfishing to view our full schedule our next one is in sept. and you will be able to trailer anywhere on the cape fear ,