100 lb. power pro.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 4, 2007.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I bought some 100 lb. power pro off of ebay a little over a year ago, I think I have close to 500 yds. or so and I was wondering if this would be to heavy for my reels. I have 2 7000c3's and 2 Penn 320 GT2'S and I was probably looking at putting it on the penn reels, the rods would be a 7' MH Tiger Ugly Stick and a 6'6" Heavy Boat Rod (Ugly Stick). Would these outfits for this size of line be the best and also how much and what size mono would I need for backing. I also have 2 Diawa Emblem-X 5500T large spinning reels that take aprox. 200 yds. of 30 lb. test would it be O.K. to use 100 lb. on these reels also and will this power pro damage my TIGERS and Boat Rods???

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    as far as it being too heavy id say no unless you didnt put any backing on and a huge fish had you spooled and was trying to break your line then you might get into some trouble. as far as backing its up to you on my 6000s i think i got a little bit of 20# to keep the pp from sliping but sence your putting it on a larger cap reel you might fill it up some with some cheep 50# like omniflex or whatever you got lying around.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I've had 100lb PP on my 600's for 2 years. No problems, love the stuff. I did buy 2 9000's this year and spooled them with 300 yd of 65lb red Power pro.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Sounds like you have the right equipment for that power pro and you don't have to use backing with the 7000C3 it has a little stud on the spool to loop the line around to prevent slipping, which is the reason for the backing in the first place with power pro.

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I want to spool up one of my reels with some power pro, but I haven't coughed up the money yet:big_smile: I am still working on beefing up my rigs:wink:

I have always been worried about using it and it possibly damaging the rod tips. I have been told braids will wear a tip out. I may have to try some this year after hearing so many good things about it though

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is one thing to remember when using braided "super lines" that will help prevent damage to your equipment.

Drag settings. Your drag should be set so that it goes off before the weakest part of the equipment chain breaks. Normally this is your line, but when using braids it's a different story.

What I do to prevent damage:
    I use a braid that has a diameter equal to the thinnest line the equipment is rated for. I then set the drag just a little lighter than the heaviest line the equipment is rated for.

As far as wear and tear on the rod tips, the older braids did have a problem with this (often due to grit caught in the braid) but the newer ones don't have as much of a problem. I know that my Power Pro wears out eyelets less than mono did.

7. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    I have found that Aluminum Oxide Guides tear up slower with braided lines than Fuji Guides do.

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Randy, I use pp also and I use a mono backing because I don't want to put 300+ yards of pp on my reel. Me personally, I put enough mono on to allow 150yds. of pp to fill the reel. That way you can put more pp on more reels.