Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 50 lb scale finally shot craps, so it's time to upgrade. I am looking for a 100lb digital scale, and was shocked that they run about $120!!

I found a bunch of "luggage" scales, and they're only $15 bucks? Has anyone ever tried one out, or are they junk?

I want something that is accurate, but for an extra $100, it looks like they may be taking advantage of the poor 'ol fisherman.

ANY help would be great, as I'm ready to jump on something soon.

Thanks,

Sam

· Registered
7,495 Posts
Why limit yourself to a 100lb scale? Fishing in Missouri there could (hopefully) come a time when you will max it out.

Check out the Coffey Scales, they are actually a deer scale, bowhunters scale, called a few things. They are digital and I have checked mine with scale calibration weights and it has always been accurate.

They run about $60 and go all the way to 250 lbs.

· Registered
3,361 Posts
I've got a set of the 100# Berkley Tec scales with the readout on both sides. I like it so far. If I happen into a fish that bottoms it out then I'll wake up one of the nice KCCats folks to weigh it in on their spiffy new certified scale :winky:

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I currently use the 220lb scales I bought from Coffey 4 years ago. They have done an excellent job so far but are no longer available. If I need another set, I think $46.00 for a 330lb set would be the way I'd go.

· Registered
624 Posts
Guys, not that I have caught a fish that weighs close to a hundred pounds, but I will catch a flathead some day of that proportion LOL (CATFISH DREAMIN). Anyway, I have been looking at some scales at Bass Pro that go to 100, but they do not look very well made. Some are the big spring ones and a few are digital, but do not look like they will last long. Does anybody have any advice on this? I will look into these "coffey" scales, but what about these at the pro??

· Registered
7,495 Posts
I've left my Coffey Scale in my boat's tackle bag, in not exactly a waterproof pouch. it's rusting on the handle and have had condensation in it for quite some time but it still works great. I would advise keeping them dry though, LOL!!!

· Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't gotten my scale in the mail yet. I wish I had it last weekend!(see new PB post)
I had to weigh it with a digital house scale by standing on it with the fish, then without.

When I get it, i will check how low it goes as well as the accuracy, but sounds like it may be a week or so.

-Sam

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.