100+ GL live well for big cats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by flo, May 4, 2008.

1. flo

flo Member

State:
    fay nc
    Hello friends
    My screen name is Flo and I want to know if any one has any ideas on how to build a 100 + GL live well so I can keep my fish alive for the tournament , and also what is the best live well aeration system out their . I got a 100 GL rubber made round tank with aeration in it but it is not doing the job I have lost many big fish, for some reason. Also I was looking at the BOC sponsor page an seen Fish mate Pro Live wells and the BIG CAT / MUSKIE PRO live well caught my eye could some one tell me how many gallons it is, and how well it works and how many big blues you can put in it, also send photo’s of the inside so I can see how It is set up, if any has any to send, it stats it has 2 pumps but I can’t tell it from the photo’s on the web sight.

(PS) I need some help with this problem

2. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There was a guy in a tournament I was in this weekend who had a nice livewell. We asked him how he did it but I can't for the life of me remember where he said he bought the tank from. It was kind of oval shaped tank. It had a whole at the bottom for piping. He rigged it all himself. He said the tank cost about 80 bucks and he had about 100 total in it altogether. He won the tournament with a 40 and 35lber that fit comfortably in the tank. Can't remember the gallon size either. I'll see if I can find it on the web.

3. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
  4. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City

What kind of boat did he have it rigged too, and aslo did it have a lid or did he just have it open like that?

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Stock tank will work fine. Team it up with an AKWALUNG system and you will be tite and rite.

6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Besides the tank and aeration, water temps. can effect fish survival rates in livewells. I freeze gallon jugs of water and put them in my homemade livewell (stocktank) during summertime tourneys. This lowers the water temp, and this helps because cooler water will hold more dissolved oxygen than warmer water.

7. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can't remember the exact kind. It was a wide camouflage wide aluminum boat (I asked my buddy and he said it was a War Eagle that that guy had). He had rigged up and built his own center console. The livewell had a wooden top.....looked like he took a two-by-four and put it in the middle and made two doors on both sides long ways using pieces of plywood with the hinges screwed to the two-by-four. He had two catfish (35lb and 45lb). He drove 30 miles up river (1 hour and 30 minutes) on the Pee Dee in SC to the NC state line. He caught the two fish (no telling how much longer he fished, seems like he got back to the landing around 3pm and tourn. started at 6am) and drove all the way back. He took the fish out at the landing for weigh in, put them back, took them out again for pictures and then released them. They were in great shape.

8. Kenk

Kenk New Member

State:
    W.V
    Adding areation for the big cats is not enough, due to the high levels of ammonia building up in the water. Cooling the water and doing partial water changes helps but the best is an charcol filter for removeing ammonia and waste

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Check into getting an Akwa-Lung system. They filter, strain, and aerate the livewell all with the same unit. You can add some jugs of ice to the tank to cool the water down if need be but I bet that will keep any fish you catch alive and well.

10. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    check out our system, we are also a sponsor!

it will filtrate purify and areate all with one pump!