100 gallon catfish live tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by rivercatsc, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well I finally got the catfish live tank finished for my boat. It has the capacity of 100 gallons and is fully insulated. I started out with a 100 gallon galvanized tank I custom made a lid out of 1/2" thick white cutting board and insulated the outside with 1/2" thick white minicell foam. All stainless steel hardware with fresh water pickup and a standpipe to control water level and for quick draining. I also have a 12v air bubbler on it. I may add a recirculation pump on it if I feel neccesary later. Here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like a real nice tank, congrats

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    100 gallons = 850 pounds + the tank. What kind of boat do you use? Nice tank, just wondering about the logistics of such a tank.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    That should do the trick. What kind of system are ya gonna use to airate and filter it. May I suggest an AKWALUNG. I've seen em work wonders.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Man, I like you tank and what you have done with it so far James!
    BG is right, You need to get yourself one of those Akwa-Lung Systems to finish it off. I have one of them that I use in a 175 gallon tank I use at my weigh-ins as a recooperating tank. I have put weak fish in it for an hour and they come out fighting mad. I think it would be beneficial to your tank. Go to www.akwa-lung.com and check it out

7. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What kind of foam did you use, and were did you find cutting boards that big? Thanks for posting It looks Awsome!!:big_smile: It would also work good at home for a bait tank when not fishing in a tounament. Perch would stay alive a long time in that.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Very nice job, James.

Realistically it will never be completely full. I'm also setting up a 100 gallon tank, and 100 gallons would put me over my boat's weight capacity most of the time, but 60-70 gallons is the most that will ever be in it, and typical use will be more like 40 gallons. I believe James has a pontoon boat that will easily handle the weight.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I fish out of a 25ft pontoon with a 150merc on the back but like GaryF said there will never be 100 gallons in it. I believe the standpipe will only alow it to be about 2/3rds of the way full. I will fill it up when fishing and can dump the water very fast with the 1.5" standpipe for while the boat is under power, just enough water to cover the fish. I will check into the Aqualung system but I will stick to my freswater pickup with the air bubbler.

Tank Insulation- www.foamfactory.com It is a closed cell foam called minicell foam it is water and mildew resistant.

Cutting Board Top- www.usplastics.com The have any size or thickness you can think of.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well I tried out the tank this weekend and it worked like a champ. I put 7 flatheads in there 12lbs to 25lbs and they were just as lively when I released them as they were when I put them in there. I filled it up over half full of water and it didnt seem to effect the handle of the boat even at high speeds. The two 8ft front couches i took out weighed over 150lbs each so I reckon it is just about like them beig back in there. Anyway I field tested it and love it ALOT.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got to use my tank in my 1st tournament and kept 123lbs of fish alive with no problem. The biggest was a 45lb blue and he seemed to have plenty of room.:big_smile:

12. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    george ole buddy ! i luv you! lol.
    you have been a great fellow for passin the word around on my akwalung!
    george if you would like to have one for yourself let me know! i will definently cut you a real deal on one for your good reveiws!
    shoot me a pm!

13. flo

flo Member

State:
    fay nc
    Wow what a nice tank I am looking for one like that my self could you tell us wear you got the cutting board to make a lid at that size, I would invest in a Akwa-Lung system, am going to bye one for my self and in stall on to my new system, grate job, andnice workmen ship

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'd consider adding a recirculating pump of some sort. Excellent results so far with the Keep-Alive system I installed in my 60 gal livewell.

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Flo if you look back 1 page I put all of the links on another post.:wink: I dont have a recir. pump but it does have a fresh water pickup with an overflow standpipe and when I get alot of big fish in there I will turn the water on and just let it run. I also have an 12V air pump running in it at all times. The tank has not disappointed me yet it was well worht the time to build it right. Plus I can get in it and take a bath if I need to.:smile2:
    Flo let me know if I can help you in anyway.

16. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've got one of these stock tanks i've been trying to come up with a way to make into a live well. Thanks I'll sleep better tonight!! I've also thought about building mine like a box that I can slide in and out of the pontoon that holds the battery and a few plano boxes for tourney fishing. Also maybe a devider where i can keep some live sunfish in the same tank. Any advice would be appriciated. Maybe a piece of pexi with holes drilled in it?

17. deepforkcats

deepforkcats New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    nice job im thinking bout doin somethin like that for my boat i got a 24 ft toon gonna start modifying it this winter

18. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have been looking for ideas. Where did you find that foam on the website you posted? I could not find it at all on there.

19. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Very nice looking tank!

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    rivercatsc don't play!!! :wink:

BB in SC