$100 Burnin a Hole

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by gofish, Apr 4, 2006.

1. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I want to buy a good--no, great--ultralight spincast set up. I want a long rod, six feet or more. I want a microcast reel that is smooth and durable. I don't know if bigger is better but there are spincast reels out there with 7 bearings that sell for about $50. I don't know for sure if I want to go with a Zebco 11 for about $13 or go with a more expensive reel and skimp on the rod.

The plot thickens:

I also plan to start drift fishin a lot more for blues and am getting my trolling motor re-attached. I only have one battery in my boat. It is supposed to be cranking and deep cycle combined. I don't know that I trust my starting battery to run my 55# thrust TM for a few hours. Can I get a Deep cycle battery and a nice micro spincast rig for a $100 bill?

What would you do?

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    If you're bound and determined to drift fish, I'd go with the battery first. Hate to hear your battery went dead down river.

3. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I 2nd that! Battery first ;)

4. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    OK, I think I can swing this for you. I just bought a really nice crappie outfit at walmart, shakespere Intrepid matched rod and reel. Rod is 6'6" with cork handle and reel has 3 ball bearings, very smooth outfit, $29.00. I just bought a new trolling battery from Interstate, 69.00. So if you can dig in your couch cushions and scape up about five bucks for tax, you are in business. Boog

5. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I haven't looked at batteries locally yet but have been doing some research on micro spincasters. I'm leaning toward the Zebco Titanium 11. It is about $24 at BPS. I'll see what I can find out about the Shakespeare Intrepid. That sounds like a pretty good deal for a combo.

The batteries through BPS or Cabela's are over $120 without considering shipping. I feel sure that I can do better locally. Interstate huh? I'll check them out.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will definitely have the rod n reel before Easter. The battery may come a little later.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    also give wally world a try.the everstart marine batteries seem to be pretty good and not as expensive!!!

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

I haven't been able to find the rod that I want for my ultra light rig. I went to the 'eliti$t' sporting goods place here and looked to see if they had what I was looking for. They had a couple of ultra light rigs but all had 5' or less rods. I played around with some fly rods and considered buying one. Of course I'd pay about 30% more at that place than anywhere else.

I didn't find the Shakespeare Intrepid combo at BPS or Cabela's. I saw a Synergy combo at Wally World but I didn't like the rod.

I'm still lookin....

Will check Wally's for batteries too.

8. fishin-crazy

fishin-crazy New Member

State:
    texas
    Never know what kinda sales you can find. You should just go check out your local sporting-goods store, and see how much batteries are. I have a cheap (Wal-Mart special) $30 deep cycle batterie, ive had since 2002 to run a minnkota 55 pound thrust, and it will run medum speed for a good 36hours. Any way you should just look at the deals on the type of rod and reel you want. You might decide on one over the other that way. Oh and just becase the zebco is $13 dosent mean it sucks, i still have my first zebcos my grandpaw gave me. Theyare about 16 years old now, and some eavin older,and they are all still greatthough. I let my sister use them when she wants to go along. She has eavin caught a nice 24pound blue on one with like 12lb. test line.