100,00 4" Catfish Fingerlings

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Redtick, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I heard the DNR turned 100,000 4" catfish fingerlings loose in one of the local lakes today. It is probably Shelbyville. They wouldn't do that on the lake I live on.:roll_eyes:

2. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Wow, that is always nice to hear. Didn't they announce where they released them or are they keeping it secret?

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    if you have any bass around where those cats were stocked then i bet less than half survive. Danged bass anyway!

4. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

I think they've made it down to the place I fish?:big_smile:
    That's all I've been catching lately.

Ken

5. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I hear the game biologists are hoping for a 25% survival ratio. Even at that, 25,000 10-12 " channel catfish wouldn't be bad for next year. Four or five years down the line, some respectable cats should result from the stocking.

I don't think the DNR is keeping it a secret but perhaps some guys that fish the lake a lot might be keeping it to themselves. There are some lakes that are over fished as it is and putting an exact location may make the problem worse. I do know for a fact that there is a very good shad/baitfish population if it turns out to be the lake I think it might be. And, it has a very healthy bass population as well according to the fish biologists that recently shocked the lake.

I suggested to the local game biologist on the lake I live on to put some blue cats in the lake but I don't believe they are availible through the state. Maybe I can talk the lake superintendant into purchasing some blue cat fingerlings with the money donated by local fishermen this summer. I know the bass population is loaded according to the biologist, so why not spend the money on something that would be BIG and very popular?

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would be happy to donate to that cause partner