10' Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 12, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I saw this mentioned somewhere else in one of the threads about Catfish Connections sale on 10' Ugly Stick Casting Rods, if this is redundent I'm sorry. I was looking at them and they look pretty nice for 47.95, I know they are 2 piece, however they are rated at 12-40 lb. test (model BWC 1100/BWC11210 at Catfish Connection). I'm getting a new 7000c3 and a new Penn 320 so I was thinking this might be a nice rod to have for one of these reels. What do you all think could it be used to fish for channels as well as blues/flats. I like the 7' Tiger and plan on getting another one soon, but I don't have a surf rod to get way out in the water with. Would it be better to spend the extra 8.00 and get a TIGER or not, I mainly do all bank fishing.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would, then you won't be sitting on the bank wishing you could get out there! lol :D

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Harvard

If your fishin the BIG rivers with current from shore, alot here and I do use the surf rods. IF you know the weights you will be casting check the "lure weight" rating on the rod before you buy. If casting 6-10 0z weights total a longer butt on the surf rods helps in casting along with more leverage on a longer pole for fighting them too. I have 5-10 footers and considered longer butt am stickin with the 10s. IF longer and you want to tight-line you have to sit way WAY back on a 15 ft rod, just ask Netmanjack.

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Harvard. I have a 1o ft ugly. It is very stout. You could use it for channels but it would be over kill. I have a 7000C3 on it and it cast like a dream. If you want to reach out and touch them , you can with this rod. If you plan on fishing form the bank and need the casting distance go for it. Otherwise get another tiger.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have two 7' MH Ugly Stik Tiger rods for my baitcasters and a 11' Ugly Stik Spinning rod for my Shimano baitrunner spinning reel. I only use the longer rods for spinning reels to help cast farther. The bigger the line is on spinning reels the less distance you will get when casting.

6. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks for all the advise---not sure on what I want to do, have heard alot of people mention that they've had there rods break where connected, then others have said otherwise. I really think for 47.00 I probably couldn't go wrong either way---the rod is rated at 6-12 oz. if I'm not mistaken. Going to BASS PRO here in a few hours to buy me an Ambassadeur 7000c3 so if I don't pick up a rod or change my mind in the mean time I think I might give the rod a go. Hate to pass up a good deal and kick myself later when I do want a Surf Rod. THANKS AGAIN--ITS GREAT TO GET ADVISE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM OTHERS MORE EXPERIENCED.