10 Things I've learned this week....

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by River Hobo, Sep 1, 2007.

1. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well as my first official week as a self proclaimed catfisherman comes to a close I can honestly say, at least I lernt sumpin'.
    Since I was off of work this week I got out 4 times for cats. If you haven't read about the first two days you can find it here (http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58560)

As for the later two day's, well day three was not really much to write about. I caught another big turtle and that was pretty much it. And day 4 started out pretty much the same way. Another big turtle but no cats. I honestly was already starting to lose my enthusiasm. But not for long. I have a run off, set the hook, and the fish just keeps swiming around like he doesn't have a care in the world. I honestly don't think he new he was hooked for a minute or two. But once he did, well I don't have to tell you guys. HE was off like crazy trying to show me who was boss. All I could do was hold on. He's heading for the bridge, I think I better get him turned around or he's gonna win. A few good pumps of the rod and I have his attention and he's now swimming back in the right direction. OH no! He's heading right towards my other line that is still in the water. I stick the rod I'm holding between my legs, grab the other rod a start to reel like mad to get it out of my way, but it's not coming as easily as it should, in fact it starts swiming in the other direction. CRAP!! (can I say that here):embarassed: Anyway, I check the rod with the big fish, still securly between my leggs and the fish is still pulling hard but has slowed a bit. Thank goodness. As I finish pulling in the other rod it's a 13" channel. What are you doing wasting my time I yell at him as I pull up against the bank and leave him there in the shallows. Now back to the buisness with this other guy. After a few more minutes I have him up to the bank and on his side. Surrender, and my God he's bigger than the one I caught the other day I think to myself. I lift my rod tip up and put my whole hand inside his mouth. As I start to lift him out of the water I here a SNAP. I look up thinking
    my rod broke but it was just the line but as I looked up the fish rolls and I lose my grip and let go, as he turns too jet away I try to grab his tail, but you all know how that story always ends. So no picture but a great fight and a great fish story and I'm now sucked in just a little bit deeper to this whole catfishing thing:big_smile:
    So, as promised the 10 things I've learned this week. I'm sure you that have been at this awhile already know all this but to any one who's new like me hope this helps you out.

1) I learned WHY they call it fishing and not catching
    2) Patience is a virtue. And I am not yet a virtuous man.
    3) I need to get to the tackle store for some catfish specific gear
    4) I need a bigger net
    5) Turtles like cut bait more than catfish
    6) The Lake is a different animal once the lights go out
    7) Bring your bug spray
    8) If you spray said bug spray on the ground under your bait board it'll keep the ants off
    9) I need a bigger net
    10) Catfishing is FUN :big_smile::smile2::big_smile:

Thanks for listening (reading)
    Now I think I'm going fishing:wink:

2. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    At least I did get some good pic's last night before the sun went down.

Attached Files:

3. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Dont feel bad i do alot of the fishing and not catchin myself. It takes time and practice to get it down good luck

4. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    Before you know it you'll be posting a pic of a BIG catfish. :big_smile:

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mike - Great story and pics! I really like the Eagle photo! :big_smile:

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Luv that shot of the eagle...:cool2:

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well Mike all I can say is. WELCOME to the World of Catfishing!!! Now 10 other things You will find out as time goes by, will be
    1. You will Never have enough Gear.(Always want MORE)
    2. All the fish that get away will be huge.
    3. Turtles Love us Cat Fishermen.
    4. Bass makes Good cut bait.
    5. It's hard to get the smell of stink bait and Dip bait off Your hands so just live with it,LOL.
    6.Some of Your Friends that though You were Strange,Now Know You Are.
    7.The little Lady if You have one,will think You are spending entirely to Much Time and Money on Your New found hobby.
    8.Catching Your own bait is a Whole lot cheaper than buying it.
    9.Big Catfish Don't grow Big by being Stupid.
    10.Big George and Me are the BEST looking Fellas here at the BOC. Hands Down!!!!!
    :waaaht::big_smile_2::big_smile_2::haha::byebye:

8. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Great story Mike. Glad you got to experience the fight of a nice fish. It is something very intense. Never had no luck with a turtle yet have not caught one while catfishing after seeing the size of the one in your pic dont think i want to mess with one anyway.Good luck in your quest for a big fish.

9. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I practiced my patience last night. Fished for three hours with out a touch. Not even a turtle :confused2: So I say to myself, I'll stay till ten (anothe haif hour), so then naturally, I get a run off at 9:58, miss the hook set and now have to wait and see if he comes back....till 11:30 :big_smile:

5 Hours on one bite. I know that's a long way from hard core but I can feel the virtue in me growing :smile2:

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mike - Do you fish rivers at all? Five hours with only one bite is SLOW fishing. May be time to try a new spot. :eek:oooh: If you have a river nearby I would give that a try but of course if your watching Bald Eagles fly around I guess that would make the time worthwhile! :wink:

11. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Scott, This is my first week of catfishing so I've just been going to this lake after supper a few nights just feeling my way and because it's close. But I live about 40 minutes from the Susquehanna River and that's going to be my next spot to try. Maybe next weekend.
    Apparently if family comes over for a holiday weekend BBQ I'm not suppose to leave to go fishing. Go figure.
    I'm not sure how that rule got passed but I'm going to dispute it at the next family board of directors meeting.

12. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The bird watching is only good till the sun goes down. :sad2:

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I like the pics and the ten list. I fish the Arkansas river and see birds like that some times. they sure purty.

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Great post you do need patience. Sometimes when I get into my dry spells just when i start to wonder it seems to happen I get that big one. Today will be a perfect example of that. I have been out the last 5 or six times except for some perches i have caught nothing finally i get a big channel so it payed off. I agree with jdstraka top ten post (except for the best looking guys on the boc). lol :roll_eyes:

15. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Mike its time to take you shopping lol.:go: Once your truly geared up your strike & catch ratio will icrease.:boss: