10# meat grinder

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by massa_jorge, Jan 13, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have a 10# cast iron manual meat grinder that i never used until yesterday. i thawed out a bunch of deer and pork and went after it. it will not put meat out the burger attatchment. it just grinds the meat around the worm gear into a dang paste. i tried it for an hour or so, and got so mad i threw the whole thing in the trash. then reason took over, and i pulled it out, disassembled it and washed it. for those of you that have this type of grinder, what are the parts? i think i might be missing one. heres what i have: the body, handle, worm gear, cutting blade, the burger or sausage grate, and a ring that holds the grate on. thanks for any replies. if i had any hair, i'd be ripping it out about now...

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jordan,I got the same kind. Try using a whetstone to touch up the cutting head ,and partially freezing the meat. I do know that if the cutter or the disc are dull,they dont work too good. I also find it helps to chunk the meat in about 1" chunks ,and remove as much of the silverskin and tendons as possible.

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    The ring needs to be on tight too. I give the ring a tap or two with a mallet to make sure its tight. Seems to make a difference. Really only three things that can go wrong. The shaft, the blade or the cutting plate. If the blades are sharp, and its all screwed togather tight, it should work.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jordan the knifes are Dull,Take your plate and place the knife on it and check to see if the knife and the plate are making Good even contact,just spin the knife on the plate to check this it might need sharpening but when you sharpen the knife(I use a flat Fine flat File for this) make sure you keep everything even OK.A wetstone works good also like Load mentioned,Now also cut your pices of meat small and like Load also mentioned and slip them in the freezer for a while till there almost frozen and this should take care of the problem.Good Luck Brother,You can also purchase new knifes and blades at any butches supply,But if your knife is sharp and even with the plate it should work.J.D.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks a million guys. i will sharpen the heck out of that thing and give it another go. had 12 days off to do all this stuff i wanted to do, and now my wife has to go to the hospital for a CT scan. they were clearing some stuff and she got hit on the head. my wife is my partner in everything but the killing, so it doesn't seem right to do this stuff without her. i will wait till she is better and i have more time off to do more grinding. thanks so much for the help.