10 lb Power-Pro

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Deltalover, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    A while back, I decided to try out the new 10 pound power-pro. It is the size of 1 pound mono. I got it for my crappie stick. I don't think I can honestly say anything good about it. First off, it has consitantly broke off before my 6 pound p-line flouracarbon leader, a slipbobber seems to hang up on it (also the line cuts into it), a little bit of wind will tie so many knots around anything it comes in contac with so tight you will have to cut it! You cant even walk with your rod rigged with it with out it tieing knots around the rod! I dont think it cast anywhere near as well as, any 6 pound mono! I am going to respool with 6 pound sufux next time! Any other opinions?

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I spooled a Mitchell 300 with 20 lb test and it works great for skipjack fishing. I was thinking seriously about spooling my 308's with 10 lb, but maybe I will stick witht the 20 lb test as it's about the same diameter as 4 to 6 lb test mono. Thanks for the review Phil.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That dosent surprise at all, like I have been saying I have never had a good expierence with any kind of braided line and am pretty sure I will never try it again.:)

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've had pretty good luck with heavier braids, but for anything under 20lb test I stick with mono. At some point in there the smaller diameter becomes a disadvantage.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    :0a27: I have mono on my smaller baitcasters and spincasters. I have tried the smaller super lines with poor luck. 40#+ seem to be aok. As far as all line goes I dont have mutch luck with anny under 10. They do whats mentioned above knot up & tangle.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    From the little Ive fished with braid and powerpro I dont like braid with bobbers for long distance casting. For the same reasons you listed. However I do have 40lb superbraid stren 10lb diameter on a spinning reel with slip bobber and it casts and fishes great. Will make a great bait/channel cat rig although I do use it mostly for close fishing.
    I tried 80lb powerpro on my 10' big bobber pole and had the same thing happen, it floats and catches the wind and who knows where itll go. I switched that reel to a bottom pole and so far so good.
    I think it may have a little to do with how small the line is with getting caught on everything. Those knots may also be kinking your line and breaking there?

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Delta-thanks for the heads up.I've tried many lines and am in love with power-pro.I've never tried the smaller size,just 20 and 30.I catch plenty of crappie with the 20,doesn't seem to bother them a bit.
    I encounter a few problems with it,mainly it ices up more than mono in below freezing temps,other than that,not much of a problem with wind knots and such.
    Was thinking about getting the smaller p/p,but you changed my mind.
    But I will stick with the 20 and 30.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have fished with about a dozen different brands of monofilament, powerpro, Berkelt Fireline, and Bass Pro spectra braid. For light stuff (like my ultralight that I use to catch bait), I prefer original Stren. It's great stuff: casts well and is very tough stuff. For my cat rods, I use Trilene Big Game: tough as nails and manageable (and about 1.5 times stronger than marked: 20 pound Big Game will consistently break at over 30 pounds).

The super braids have thier place, but for most applications, I still think mono is better. If you want to use a super braid, I Fireline is much more manageable and easier to live with than Power Pro. You know those irritating little knots you get in Power Pro, just from casting? Fireline doesn't do that.

The other thing: they constantly WAY exagerate the thinness of the "super" braids. They will tell you that 10 pound braid is the diameter of 2 pound mono, but check it yourself. It's more like 8 pound diameter.

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have to dissagree on that one! The 10 pound powerpro is the size of 1 pound mono, what ever that is, lol. Anyway, it is about the same size as ordinary thread! Really whispy!

10. skerzfan

skerzfan New Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    I really like Power Pro in the heavier weights. When you go with the lighter weights you end up with the problems others have described. And man, that light weight stuff will slice you like a knife if you try to pull it out of a snag with your bare hands. Be careful.